Answered

Playing music from Android music on Sonos Play1

• 21 January 2021
  • 5 replies

hi!

Just been on a chat with sonos trying to sort out issues with playing music from my Huawei P10 (running android 9.1.0 and emui 9.10) to my sonos play 1 speaker.  I used to have a deezer subscription but ceased paying for it last year.

I have been trying to use my speaker to play music from my library on my phone, unsuccessfully. The app skips tracks without playing the whole song and then stops working altogether. It also throws up messages about network connection issues even when I have the speaker plugged into the router.

The chat with sonos suggested the issue was moving off the app to use the phone for something else and the screen powering off. 

Has this been an issue for others?  I have changed my phone settings so the screen never powers off and have only had the app running. All is good, but this doesn't really work!  I need to use the phone to do other things, which I could do when streaming. 

Are there any gets rounds? I'm using the Huawei music app, but would try something else if it allows me to use the phone and have power saving features back on. 

TIA

Debbie

icon

Best answer by Annoyedofmcr 21 January 2021, 15:42

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

I assume you are playing from ‘on this mobile device?  If so, issue is likely t o be from the phone to the router, and the most likely cause wireless interference.  Can you try changing the wireless channel on your router?  

John,

Yes I am.

its not wireless interference, as when I do what I described (only use the app on the phone etc) all is well.  But I need to use the phone while listening to music.  There is a delay, but as soon as I  move off the app and do something else the skipping starts again.

Thanks for your reply.

That makes it sound like a phone issue then, rather than a Sonos issue.  Is your music stored only on the phone or is it stored on a computer to which you sync the phone?

Do you have a music streaming account of any sort, such as Spotify?

Edit I note you said no longer have Deezer 

Hi, it is a communication problem between the speaker and my phone, yes. That's why I asked if anyone had work arounds. Little update, all works continuously with power saving at never. I then changed the setting to 5 minutes and the app stops playing music when the screen goes off.  If I  get a text it stops too. 

This didn't happen with Deezer or Spotify.  That said, one reason I  ended my subscription to deezer was that after updating the sonos app over a year ago and then every time prompted streaming music became much less reliable. Searching the forum I found others reporting similar issues dating back 2 years.

OK.  A few things here.  The Sonos app is not a music player it is a remote control.  One of the great virtues of this system is that streamed music does not go via the phone but straight from the router to the speaker.  It therefore isn’t an issue if you get a call.  The one possible exception to this is if you are playing music actually stored on the phone (and not always then).

There are always people on the forum with streaming problems.  Sonos has millions of users worldwide and is extremely robust.  Playing from the phone is the least robust way of using Sonos.  Streaming from Sonos has never become less reliable after an update, although updates are blamed for just about every local issue