Answered

Playbase wire connection issue

• 23 October 2020
  • 16 replies

Badge

Hi all,

I am a lucky owner of playbase and 2 x play1s - working fine for 2 years with playbase wired, play 1s wifi connected.

Today after upgrading to S2 on my iphone x I got message the play1s needs to be reconnected.

Did not work out the regular way so I decide to factory setting the system starting with playbase.

Unplugged and re plugged with holding the join button till green flashing light but cannot find the playbase in the S2 app (I tried wifi an wired - neidther worked).

I can find play1s on the app but not the playbase anymore.

Can anyone help / suggest what to try?

icon

Best answer by Tom Hrbek 26 October 2020, 15:52

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

16 replies

If you decided to factory reset your wired sonos ‘root bridge’ product (PlayBase) and your other devices were operating as its surrounds and running on SonosNet, then I fear you may have gone about things the wrong way here and possibly destroyed your existing Sonos Household... Perhaps try first of all to see if wiring one of your Play:1’s will work as the root bridge by wiring it to the router. or maybe try wiring both Play:1’s to the router… if not, you may unfortunately need to reset the Sonos App and create a brand new Household.

Badge

Hi Ken,

thanks for your respond. The play1s work fine over wifi but even with that running i cannot find the playbase. Tried to reset the app and set up as new system - no luck

Hi Ken,

thanks for your respond. The play1s work fine over wifi but even with that running i cannot find the playbase. Tried to reset the app and set up as new system - no luck

Ah okay, It’s unusual for a device not to work using either wireless, or wired, mode. Do you perhaps have another ethernet cable you can try?

Badge

I will try with another cable

thanks

Badge

Still the same issue, cannot find the playbase

Still the same issue, cannot find the playbase

Assuming you have tried the factory reset process more than once, I think it best you call sonos customer care and explain the situation to them. You can contact them here:

Sonos Customer Care

Badge

yes, many time. It is frustrating. I must wait till Monday to try call in.

Thank you for your help anyway.

Badge

Hi guys, 

I was able to get my playbase up and running - wired.

Now I am back with another topic when trying to connect my 2x Play:1s and surround with my tv set.
After number of attempts where I reset both Play1s, wired them up, reboot router etc.

I looked up to “Network” in app setting and tried to set the 2,4 Ghz wife, but I keep getting the “wrong password” mess. It is correct for 100%. 

any idea guys?

Don’t know why your Sonos products would even require your WiFi credentials, as you have a Sonos device wired somewhere on the network, that means that all products should be running on the internal SonosNet signal?

Perhaps ensure that that any WiFi credentials (if stored) in "Settings/System/Network/Wireless Setup” - are removed from the Household. Then see what happens.🤔

Badge

Don’t know why your Sonos products would even require your WiFi credentials, as you have a Sonos device wired somewhere on the network, that means that all products should be running on the internal SonosNet signal?

Perhaps ensure that that any WiFi credentials (if stored) in "Settings/System/Network/Wireless Setup” - are removed from the Household. Then see what happens.🤔

local wifi is removed from the system, no improvement :-(

Tom Hrbek,

My thoughts are to power off the router and all your Sonos products for 30 seconds, then bring them back online in this order…

1. Modem/Router 
  2. Wired Sonos products
  3. Wireless Sonos products  

Give each device a minute, or two, just to settle and connect back to the local network before moving onto the next device.

Ensure that the mobile controller device complies with the sonos system requirements and is connected to the routers 2.4ghz band. Ensure the Sonos wireless radios have not been manually disabled on any Sonos product.

Consider resetting the Controller App and reconnecting it to the existing system. Ensure the App is logged into your Sonos Account in "System/Settings/Account" and perhaps check for any recent Sonos updates.

If still no joy after this things, then perhaps give the Sonos Customer Care Team a call. 

Badge

Hi Ken,

thank you very much for your advices. I downloaded S2 mobile app and was able to advanced to next stage :-)

Currently I connected both Play:1s and add them to the system but keep getting this mess, the System does not allow me to add surround speakers to my playbase.

I unplugged the router, playbase and both satellites and power cycle back in the same order with 5 mins between.

The satellites indicate “solid white” on LED as they are pared but cannot find them in the system.

Tom,

A couple of questions...

1. Can I just clarify that you have your PlayBase setup and working okay in the S2 App, albeit without any surrounds?

2. Do you see your two Play:1’s in either ‘Settings/System”... or... ‘Settings/System/About My Sonos”?

Badge

just get off the phone with Sonos support, the playbase wifi card is gone down.
They will replace my devise as only option free of charge, what is great.

Ken, thanks for your great support!!

Badge

Tom,

A couple of questions...

1. Can I just clarify that you have your PlayBase setup and working okay in the S2 App, albeit without any surrounds?

2. Do you see your two Play:1’s in either ‘Settings/System”... or... ‘Settings/System/About My Sonos”?

I cannot see any Play:1s in the system due the faulty wifi card I guess

Okay (really sorry to hear about your PlayBase - good to hear that Sonos are replacing that for you - that’s their great customer service.👍) ..

I’m just wondering if your Play:1 speakers are both wired to the router as the PlayBase maybe able to communicate with them over the wired network instead? If so, I would get those two speakers up and running and then simply remove them as surrounds, just for the time being and just run them as separate rooms.

Once they are detached from the PlayBase, you can add your WiFi credentials back into the Sonos App in "Settings/System/Network/Wireless setup” you can then detach both from the router.

Leave the two Play: 1’s setup as different rooms until your new PlayBase arrives as they will retain all your Household settings, services, playlists etc; which you can then restore to the new PlayBase when it arrives.

It will save you having to reset up everything as a new system and you will not lose any settings/playlists/services etc.