Answered

Playbar "Unable to connect to Sonos LET'S FIX IT" Over and over and over and over

• 9 June 2021
  • 3 replies

This issue is frustrating me to no end. It’s happened intermittently over the last couple of years, but a router reset and jumping through the hoops on the app usually sticks for a couple of weeks. Lately though, after getting it reconnected it’ll be unable to connect again the same day or next day at best. 

It is a complete pain to have to reset the router at all, let alone daily. Especially since we have 2 adults working from home and have had intermittent school from home with our 3 girls…. seemingly never a time when something important isn’t happening that requires the wifi. 

The Playbar is the only sonos product I have and it is the main wireless speaker used for music and radio in our main living area. At the moment it’s completely useless as a 10-15 min process to put on music over a busy morning’s breakfast and school/work prep is just not feasible. 

Is there a way to fix this for real or is this just relegated to a tv only playbar now? 

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 9 June 2021, 03:01

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

It’s hard to tell from your description exactly what is going on. I’d guess it might be either some sort of intermittent wifi interference , or perhaps a duplicate IP address. You haven’t told us how the system is connected, or what sort of connection the Sonos has to you LAN, both of which could potentially have an impact.

I would start with the generic ‘unplug the Sonos from power, and while it is unplugged, reboot the router’ suggestion. Make sure the Sonos remains powered off until the router has come back up.

But while that would fix several potential issues, it may not fix the one you’re experiencing. If not, I would recommend that you submit a system diagnostic within 10 minutes of experiencing this problem, and call Sonos Support to discuss it.

There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution.

When you speak directly to the phone folks, they have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and network.

Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it. I was definitely annoyed when I wrote that and didn’t include all of the info. The playbar is connected to the TV with an optical cable if I recall correctly, and through the app via wifi. 

A big part of the problem is that the Playbar is not easy to deal with. It sits on the mantle, under the TV and is plugged in behind the TV which is difficult to access to say the least. It is possible to pull the Playbar out and rest it on a box or two stacked on top of a sturdy stool. From that position I could plug in an ethernet cable and reach the router with it. If a direct connection to a computer is necessary, I’d have to move one of the desktops I guess as the laptops we have do not have ethernet ports. 

I’ve done all of the above a few different times in the 4 or so years I’ve owned it and it looks like I may have to again. I’ll try the phone support trick first I guess. Thanks.

It’s hard to tell from your description exactly what is going on. I’d guess it might be either some sort of intermittent wifi interference , or perhaps a duplicate IP address. You haven’t told us how the system is connected, or what sort of connection the Sonos has to you LAN, both of which could potentially have an impact.

I would start with the generic ‘unplug the Sonos from power, and while it is unplugged, reboot the router’ suggestion. Make sure the Sonos remains powered off until the router has come back up.

But while that would fix several potential issues, it may not fix the one you’re experiencing. If not, I would recommend that you submit a system diagnostic within 10 minutes of experiencing this problem, and call Sonos Support to discuss it.

There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution.

When you speak directly to the phone folks, they have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and network.

When you call in, it would probably help them if you could be more clear about ‘via WiFi’. It can make a difference on what kind of ‘WiFi’ you’re using, be it a standard router, any of specific mesh systems, or even SonosNet.

But the folk you speak to on the phone, upon looking at the data within the diagnostic, will tell you if wiring the PLAYBAR directly to the router is necessary.