Answered

Music Library: "The computer "192.168.0.1" is not responding.

• 18 September 2021
  • 19 replies

Badge

What worked perfectly before, does not work now!

From the many many posts on this subject, we all know the symptoms: Whilst trying to add a  music folder, you are greeted by the message:

But it worked last week! I have checked all the advice from the various posts about SMB1 and firewalls etc. Nothing works.

The computer I am trying to connect to is a bog standard Seagate HDD attached to a Telstra (Australia) “Technicolor DJA0231” Broadband Modem/Router connected to our NBN (National Broadband Network): a so-called “Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2”. Not the ideal NAS solution I agree, BUT IT USED TO WORK FINE! 

What has changed? I have no idea. I religiously install updates to my Windows 10 system and to the Sonos controller. The Telstra Smart Modem updates itself. I have no control over that. I have a bunch of Sonos products including:

2 Gen1 Play:5

2 new Sonos 5

2 Sonos One

2 Sonos One SL

1 Playbar

1 Sonos Roam

I am running two version of the controller (S1 and S2) in order to accommodate my older Play:5 Gen 1 speakers. Everything runes perfectly. My WiFi runs without problems. I have a WiFi booster installed so the signal strength covers the entire house, garage, front yard and back yard!  The connection to the NBN is fine. I work from home and have Teams meetings all day without any problems.

The only issue I have detected: Windows Explorer refuses to list the HDD attached to the modem under the “Network” icon. I can however map the drive and access the files without any problems. If I execute “Run \\192.168.0.1” the drive appears under “Network”, but as “192.168.0.1”, and not the HDD name. But this issue is not new and did not prevent me adding the Sonos library in the past. I copy and paste the full address (i.e. \\192.168.0.1\Seagate_Expansion_1_3a9d\Music Library) into the Sonos Add Library dialog box and am greeted with the message above. Even if I substitute the IP address for the name of the router, it does not work. Neither the S1 or S2 controller will work. Both return the same message.

I can however add a library from a ‘local’ HDD connected directly to my laptop. No problems whatsoever. The caveat being the laptop needs to be powered up in order to access the music library. The whole reason I invested in so much Sonos kit was that I did not need to have a computer running somewhere in order to access my music library. Well, so much for that!

I’ve tried re-installing the controllers two or three times but alas to no avail.

Incidentally, I have recently installed the Plex media server on my laptop (I cannot install it on my pretend NAS). It works perfectly. It found the pretend NAS HDD attached to my router without any issues and allows me to stream music from my library from anywhere in the world, provided I have internet access… and my laptop is powered-up. Pretty neat eh! I can even get lowly old Windows Media Player to recognize the NAS drive. No problem! This all points to the problem being with the Sonos controller itself.

Sonos: Your speaker system is great. Your controller software gets the job done in all respects expect one: The one I have listed above. I am a very frustrated and disappointed Sonos fan.

icon

Best answer by Corry P 23 September 2021, 15:20

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

19 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

Have you tried a router reboot? 

Badge +20

Make sure SMBv1/CIFS is 100% turned on, a firmware update could easily have disabled it or even removed it.

Badge

Thanks for the tips. Yes, I have tried a router re-boot a few times and the SMBv1/CIFS is 100% on. It does not make any difference. I suspect the Telstra Smart Modem is not helping (it is not a true NAS) but it used to work! Plex Media Server works as does Windows Media Player! Why can’t Sonos?

More than likely due to the SMB v1\NTML 1 issue, which Sonos is still restricted to. That would fit exactly what your saying, where the Sonos speakers can’t ‘see’ the music, but things like Plex and Windows Media Player can. 

The difference there is the Sonos application is running on the speakers, trying to access your data, both Plex and WMP are running on your compuer directly, and accessing the music using a different ‘path’. 

That’s an odd (but not impossible) IP address for a NAS drive. What is the IP address of your router? Are you sure that this is the current IP address of the NAS?

That’s an odd (but not impossible) IP address for a NAS drive. What is the IP address of your router? Are you sure that this is the current IP address of the NAS?

I think that the OP has an HDD attached to their router...

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

It would be handy if the OP could actually tell us exactly where this music is, and how it is connected to the system.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @RealMusicFan 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

Please permanently connect any one of your speakers to your network with ethernet. This should help your system in many ways, but I’m not sure if it will help with the Music Library.

If you haven’t rebooted your router by turning it off for at least a minute, please do so.

The only messaging I see is the same as what you see - 192.168.0.1 isn’t responding on the port used for SMB. Why it responds to other clients, I don’t know, but if the router was not utilising SMBv1 that could certainly explain it. However, I checked a manual and it seems the router only supports SMBv1.

Rebooting Sonos devices and your phone could conceivably help.

I hope this helps.

Badge

Thanks buzz,

I’m curious, why is it odd?

It appears in Windows Explorer as below, but only after I execute “open \\192.168.0.1” in the run command box. My “NAS”, is a HDD connected via USB to the Telstra Smart Modem.

Cheers

Badge

It would be handy if the OP could actually tell us exactly where this music is, and how it is connected to the system.

Hello, what is “OP”, please forgive my ignorance. As i said in my original post:

“The computer I am trying to connect to is a bog standard Seagate HDD attached to a Telstra (Australia) “Technicolor DJA0231” Broadband Modem/Router connected to our NBN (National Broadband Network): a so-called “Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2”. Not the ideal NAS solution I agree, BUT IT USED TO WORK FINE!”

The music is stored on the HDD mentioned above.

Cheers

Badge

Hi @RealMusicFan 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

Please permanently connect any one of your speakers to your network with ethernet. This should help your system in many ways, but I’m not sure if it will help with the Music Library.

If you haven’t rebooted your router by turning it off for at least a minute, please do so.

The only messaging I see is the same as what you see - 192.168.0.1 isn’t responding on the port used for SMB. Why it responds to other clients, I don’t know, but if the router was not utilising SMBv1 that could certainly explain it. However, I checked a manual and it seems the router only supports SMBv1.

Rebooting Sonos devices and your phone could conceivably help.

I hope this helps.

Thanks Cory P,

I have tried all these in the past except connecting a speaker via Ethernet. I will try again on the weekend. I still cannot understand why it stopped working?

Cheers

OP is “Original Poster” in this context. It’s a shorthand, when someone like me doesn’t want to type out the full name. 

I have the same issue I had to change my Telstra modem over to a new one and now I cannot get Sonos to add the music library, I have tried from phone app and computer and I get the same response.  I can see the HDD in the modem settings under content sharing I have checked the fire wall setting but not matter what I do I cannot get the modem to respond to the request.  The only change besides the modem was Sonos did an update.  I have rest all devices including powering down all speakers and the boost but nothing works

I have the same issue I had to change my Telstra modem over to a new one and now I cannot get Sonos to add the music library, I have tried from phone app and computer and I get the same response.  I can see the HDD in the modem settings under content sharing I have checked the fire wall setting but not matter what I do I cannot get the modem to respond to the request.  The only change besides the modem was Sonos did an update.  I have rest all devices including powering down all speakers and the boost but nothing works

You will likely find that the new modem share is now running a higher version of the SMB protocol, which Sonos are yet to support, but there is rumour SMB 2, or higher, will be supported at some stage for those running S2 systems.

You ‘might’ find if you check the router settings, it may allow you to revert back to SMB v1, but you may need to check it’s user-manual to see how to do that. At least that’s what I think is probably happening in your case. HTH

Thanks I have a new Telstra modem Gen 2 Technicolor DJA0231. Under the specs it is suppose to have mass storage capability- DLNA and SMBA 1.0

As mentioned before, and from my own experience with a Synology NAS, turning on SMB v1 alone will not fix the issue since Sonos uses the NTLMv1 authentication protocol to access the NAS.

Ok so do you have a solution

Ok so do you have a solution

I would speak to the modem/router manufacturers support desk or if they have a forum maybe post there and see if they can throw some light how to setup the SMB v1 share. The NT LAN Manager authentication handshake is probably not going to be the issue, it’s more likely the version of SMB - but see what they say.

Unfortunately I am not familiar with the Telstra Smart Modem. Personally, I never relied on a router to fulfil a NAS function because of the performance. You could opt to attach the Seagate HDD to a Windows workstation and share the folders. I have my music library stored on a Mac mini and use AirPlay2 to stream to my Sonos devices. This way I have put away the SMBv1 issues and can control my playlists with the Apple Music App, including the use of smart playlists and a resume function.