Music Library has disappeared

• 20 July 2022
  • 8 replies

Hi,

My sonos system & iOS app updated this morning, and appears to have nuked my music library.

When going to Settings > System > Music Library:

• in Music Library Setup: No network locations are listed, and if I enter the location again it is not added to the list, but the library does show as indexing briefly 
  • I have the option to update music index now, but nothing happens when doing this

The music library icon under Browse is not showing as there is no music.

It does show while indexing is running, but no music is visible.   

I have tried the following to try and resolve the issue:

• rebooting all sonos devices
  • rebooting my phone
  • uninstalling/reinstalling the sonos app on my phone
  • installing the sonos controller app for windows

Update: issue appears to have resolved itself after adding the library location and indexing the library for about the 5th time. 

System Diagnostics: 1592880733

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @tyers 

Thanks for your post!

What is the nature of the device that is hosting your music library?

The same situation has just happened again. Library has been working fine, music which is already queued is playable so the device (an unfair server) storing the music is definitely available.

if I go to the sonos library settings i cannot see anything listed under media library setup, despite adding the location repeatedly. However the library appears to be indexing something. 
This is now the second time this has happened since upgrading to S2 - was running reliably on S1 for years without these issues. 

Update: issue resolved eventually after rebooting all devices and repeatedly re-adding the library source and updating the index. 

Update: 24hours later and it has now dropped my library again. Entering the library shows “no selections are available”. Indexing the library gives a “music files not available” error, however any music already queued on a speaker is playable - so the network share is definitely available. 
Fresh diagnostics: 1863107004

@tyers,

Some more information is clearly needed here before offering any suggestions. For example…

What device is hosting your music library? What version of SMB are you using, if not using a http connection with a computer share?… is the host device IP address ‘fixed’ on the device itself, or in the routers DHCP reservation table? If using the netbios name in the path what is the device name (any special characters or spaces etc?)

Any security software involved, firewall etc?

@tyers,

Some more information is clearly needed here before offering any suggestions. For example…

What device is hosting your music library? What version of SMB are you using, if not using a http connection with a computer share?… is the host device IP address ‘fixed’ on the device itself, or in the routers DHCP reservation table? If using the netbios name in the path what is the device name (any special characters or spaces etc?)

Any security software involved, firewall etc?

Hi,

music is all hosted on a custom built unraid server, accessed using an SMB share (configured to allow SMBv1 - v3 connections). 
the IP address of the server is fixed using DHCP. 
I’m connecting using the name in the path (“//mediaserver/music/“). 
There are no security / firewall considerations. 
as I said in previous post, Sonos can still access the music on the share (I can play something that is already queued, or from recently played) - it’s just the browse > library section that is empty. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @tyers 

Unless you have other devices on your network that require SMBv1, please restrict your server to only SMBv2 and v3. That should help.

Thanks. 
library is back for now and I’ve switched SMB 1 off on the server. I’ll see how it holds up. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @tyers 

Great! Thanks for updating the thread!