Macbook Pro HDMI to TV using Beam

• 23 December 2021
  • 8 replies

Hi,

I’m streaming a movie from using the HDMI port from my MBP to one of my Sony Bravia’s inputs. The sound is coming out stereo, but I can’t seem to get surround to work. In Midi setup I have the config setup to surround and it works when testing the speakers, but not when streaming the movie. Any suggestions? Thanks!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Userlevel 7

What movie are you streaming and from what source? What are your TV audio settings set to? What model is your TV?

I have a Sony Bravia X800H. I was trying to stream Dune from the HBOMax site. Pass through mode is on Auto since it’s either Auto or Off. Dolby Digital Plus output is on Dolby Digital Plus.

Userlevel 7

Have you tried testing another streaming service from your MacBook to see if you can get 5.1 audio? 

Yes, I also tried Netflix.

Userlevel 7

The only other thing I can think to check is the Digital Audio Out setting on the TV. Make sure it is set to either Auto 1 or Auto 2. You might also try setting Dolby Digital Plus Output to Dolby Digital.

FYI… the Beam (Gen 1) only supports Dolby Digital, not Dolby Digital Plus.

Yeah my digital audio out is set to Auto 1, and Dolby Digital Plus is output to Dolby Digital. Still no dice. Been trying to figure this out for hours. Not really making much sense unfortunately.

Userlevel 7

Maybe try using a different browser?

It’s very likely that HBO Max and Netflix don’t support 5.1 audio from a web browser on a Mac.

Your best options would be to stick with your TV’s native apps or use a media device like an Apple TV 4K or Roku Ultra instead.

Yeah that’s quite possible. When I run the surround test on this website https://www2.iis.fraunhofer.de/AAC/multichannel.html everything seems to work fine.