latest problems with app

• 19 August 2021
  • 7 replies

Earlier this year,  I installed about 12 speakers throughout my home. I have a few pairs of ones, fives, and moves. When everything works, it's glorious; however, I've had so many problems! I've spent literally hours on the phone with tech support between sonos and my ISP, and it's really getting old.  I've sunk a ton of money into this system, and I'm so sick of dealing with problems instead of enjoying it!

The latest problem (which just started about a week ago) is that when I open the app, it says "unable to connect, let's fix it". The problem is that I am connected... my Amazon Alexa works on the speakers, and all the white indicator lights are on. My phone is also connected to the same wifi signal, but they are not recognizing each other.  I've tried logging in with multiple devices (android, iOS, PC), and it's the same with all of them.  Tech support blames it on the wifi, but literally everything else in the house works just fine, and I don't understand how it could be wifi when the Alexa works... obviously, they're connected to wifi!

I don't have hours to spend on the phone with tech support any longer. I want to throw all these things in the trash and start over with something else!  

I would welcome any suggestions or advice! 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Userlevel 7

What model router are you using? Are you able to connect one speaker directly to the router with an ethernet cable?

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Also, do you have any wi-fi extenders or mesh wi-fi units?

I have a BGW320-500 router from AT&T set up for a 5G and 2.4 network. At the early advise of tech support, I set up the 2.4 network specifically for sonos, and nothing else is connected to it. I have tried the cable in the past, but it didn't do anything. 

Also, no extenders.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

When you tried the cable to one of your Sonos devices, did you remove the wi-fi credentials from the App?  As Echo devices can connect of 5GHz, have you tried changing the wi-fi channel for 2.4GHz encase you have interference?

Also, the AT&T forum has a fair few wi-fi issues with yourrouter ( Problems with router BGW320-500 | AT&T Community Forums (att.com) ).  Do you by chance have another router to try?

No, I did not disable the wifi credentials… I followed the directions on the app, and I don’t recall it telling me to do that. Plugging in the cable did nothing. 

I don’t have another router. I was told that is the best/newest router AT&T offers, and that our street is one of the few in the area with this super-fast internet. When I am connected to the 5G network, the wifi icon on my phone has a little “6” in the upper right corner. I have no idea what any of that means, but I do know that, again, every other device in the house operates flawlessly…. including sonos… until it doesn’t, and then I’m back & forth on the phone with sonos / AT&T tech support for hours. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

No, I did not disable the wifi credentials… I followed the directions on the app, and I don’t recall it telling me to do that. Plugging in the cable did nothing. 

By removing the wi-fi credentials, you force the Sonos Devices to use SonosNet.  Leaving the details in (needed if you have a Roam or Move) enables devices to drop out of SonosNet onto Wi-Fi and back.

When I am connected to the 5G network, the wifi icon on my phone has a little “6” in the upper right corner. 

I suspect that this is wi-fi 6 which is the latest and fastest wi-fi standard (Not to be confused with fast internet.)  I suggest that you turn this off in your router set-up and see if this improves the situation.