IKEA Sonos Symfonisk stops playing or refuses to start

• 8 February 2021
  • 14 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

I recently bought two ikea sonos symfonisk systems and the experience has been beyond bad. To a point the two systems are basically unusable. Songs (streaming Spotify or Bandcamp) either refuses to start, just stops while playing, skips to a new song halfway or just skips halfway to not just the next song but a few songs ahead.

I have a full S2 Sonos system all over the house with no problems. Two high-end routers in Mesh-setup, a Sonos Boost. Everything is updated and I still not accept a ‘it’s a wifi signal issue’ as an answer. As its clearly not that. The signal is fine, there are no problems anywhere with any other products then these two Symfonisk speakers. A cheap ‘smart speaker’ preforms better.

Are these two systems simply broken and should I contact Ikea or is this something that can be solved through settings or somehow resetting them? It all seems very much more a software issue then anything else.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

14 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Hi @Asgorath, thanks for reaching out to the Sonos Community.

Sounds like this could be caused either by wireless interference (particularly if the Boost is close to any other wireless devices), or a misconfiguration of the network. You mentioned that you have two high-end routers in a mesh setup, are either of these operating in Bridge or AP mode?

If both are operating as routers, then this could be an instance of Double NAT, which can cause issues with music streaming.

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

They are setup correctly, not as two routers. 

I am experimenting with the channels, the thing is.. there used to be regular sonos devices at the same location in the same network. The only variable that changed are these two ikea sonos speakers. 

They are setup correctly, not as two routers. 

I am experimenting with the channels, the thing is.. there used to be regular sonos devices at the same location in the same network. The only variable that changed are these two ikea sonos speakers. 

I would perhaps check to see if your router auto-selects it’s WiFi channels on startup/reboot/update etc. If possible set the routers 2.4Ghz band to use either channel 1, 6 or 11 as they are non-overlapping. Also if possible set the channel-width to 20MHz as that will reduce interference and provide better connection. Keep all devices at least 2-3 feet away from other wireless products. These links are perhaps worth exploring too:

1. WiFi Interference
  2. Wireless Interference Video: Wireless Interference and Sonos

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

Its not set to auto selection. It was set to channel 11, and sonos to 6. Setting sonos to 1 caused the neteork matrix to show a worse situation. Setting sonos to 11 and my router to 3 (randon low channel), the matrix improves. But again, my system was working perfectly fine with no changes to settings and sonos devices in the same place. Then moved two ikea sonos systems in the place of existing systems there (and moved those to another floor). The ikea speakers are horrible .. in the place where previously a sonos one was. So I am a bit hesitant that its the fault of placement and interference.  

Its not set to auto selection. It was set to channel 11, and sonos to 6. Setting sonos to 1 caused the neteork matrix to show a worse situation. Setting sonos to 11 and my router to 3 (randon low channel), the matrix improves. But again, my system was working perfectly fine with no changes to settings and sonos devices in the same place. Then moved two ikea sonos systems in the place of existing systems there (and moved those to another floor). The ikea speakers are horrible .. in the place where previously a sonos one was. So I am a bit hesitant that its the fault of placement and interference.  

For SonosNet to be enabled, you obviously have a device wired to your network - where/what is it? and have you set it a reasonable distance away from your router? - I’d give that ‘root bridge’ a little extra distance, maybe 4 feet away, from your router, if you are able to do that.

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

I have a Boost, it is wired into the main router directly, but placed as far away physically as the powercords allow it. Does mean it could be further. I can technically also wire in some of the ikea sonos devices as we have physical wiring in almost every wall. Same could be done with the Boost. I could move it to another location all together. Not sure however what weights in more: moving the Boost further away physically and as such also increasing the wired connection length vs any possible interference by the two Wifi signals.

With all this however. As no other Sonos product ever had this problem. Does this basically mean the Ikea Sonos speakers are just inferior in the Sonos Eco-system? When checking the Network-matrix for example another (real) Sonos product is always ‘in the red’ as it’s in the Kitchen, but never experiences any problems.

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

I’m actually wondering, if this is a ‘wifi interferance’ problem with the Boost. My Wifi Router(s) are I believe way superior to the Boost. Removing the Boost and just letting Sonos be ‘regular Wifi’ products, is that an option and if so, might be a better option to just let my actual Mesh setup handle Sonos Wifi?

Asgorath,

Do you have perhaps still have your WiFi credentials stored in the Sonos App network settings? - if so, that might be one possible cause of your issue. It’s possible that your speakers are hopping between the SonosNet and your mesh WiFi signal - if the WiFi is showing as installed, then I would first remove that, before considering running things on your mesh system.

Is the Boost wired to the primary mesh hub only (not one of the satellites) and is the WiFi switched off on your ISP-provided router too (if that is relevant in your case?)

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

I was actually looking where I can see if there are any wifi networks connected. I think there are none if this is the place?

The Boost is wired to the primary Mesh Hub indeed, that is wired to the ISP’s modem/router. Which has its router functionallity disabled and is in bridge mode.

Well your described setup sounds pretty good to me, but maybe try different wireless channels for both SonosNet and WiFi and see if that might improve things.

If the issue continues, then perhaps either try running your system on your mesh WiFi and/or submit a Sonos diagnostic report (when you next experience the problem) and post it’s reference back here for the Staff to take perhaps a look.

You can also contact/chat to the Support Staff via this LINK too.

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

I think the different channels has improved it. I’ve not had a real chance to test it (esp. as both are in a kids rooms, when they sleep they may not appreciate my testing the music playing there :p).

Thanks @Ken_Griffiths  for all the support and thinking along with me so far!

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

Sadly nothing is fixed :/ Its even getting worse. Turning music on these two speakers cause delays in the Sonos op for the entire system. And even for other sonos devices to stop showing.

This cannot be a network issue or something I can fix. All I can say do not buy this product! Huge huge disappointment in Sonos their quality control. I removed the two systems and everything is fine again. A 5 euro bluetooth speaker funtions more reliable. :(  

Same issue with one of these speakers at my apartment in town. 

At home I have two and connected to my existing system and works fine. But at the apartment, the IKEA speaker stops and restarts wherever it wants.

Same issue here.