Answered

I want to change WiFi networks

• 19 February 2021
  • 2 replies

Badge

So in our house we have two wi-fi networks: the main Virgin one, and then I have an AirPort Extreme connected by Ethernet to the Virgin router, the AirPort broadcasts as a separate network.

The AirPort network was created during lockdown to boost upstairs office signal strength.  I have a One SL in the office, configured to the original Virgin network (three Sonos products in the setup).  Overall the AirPort network seems to be stronger and I want to try switching over to it.  Bear in mind that the AirPort network doesn’t work if the Virgin network is switched off - so when I open the Sonos app the original network is always recognised, 

Based on my reading this does not seem to be a straightforward process.  Is the only option to reset all three speakers and reconfigure as a new network?  I don’t have Sonos playlists etc so not a big deal necessarily (apart from being very laborious).  I’m no firmware designer but it does occur to me that Sonos users are like most other people who move house or change internet providers on occasion, the system should accommodate that sort of thing intuitively.

icon

Best answer by John B 19 February 2021, 15:11

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Hi.  I think what you really want to do is to configure the Airport Express as an access point, also known as ‘Bridge’ mode.  There is no need to have two separate networks.  Just Google ‘Airport Express Bridge Mode’.

hopeisimportant,

John B’s is probably the easiest method, but if you do need WiFi network separation for any reason, then here is the alternative…

It’s not clear from your post, if all devices are using the same Sonos Household and that you can see all three speakers in the Sonos App at the same time, but assuming you see all… just wire (any) single Sonos product to the AE network device… this will switch all devices, in same Household in the Sonos App (connected to the AE WiFi), over to their built-in SonosNet connection.

Then goto "Settings/System/Networks” in the App and using the ‘Wireless Setup’ option, enter the AE Wifi credentials (SSID/Password). After a few seconds, remove the ethernet cable from the wired Sonos device and all devices showing in the App will then run on the AE WiFi signal.

If you currently don’t see all the devices in the Sonos App - then simply move the main Household using the above procedure and then just factory reset the one remaining device (presumably) ...and add that to the Household afterwards.