I am Sick of my Sonos

• 10 September 2022
  • 17 replies

Having returned my first Sonos Roam to the retailer as it simply didn’t work at all, and received a replacement, I am finding the replacement impossible to use too. Apple Music won’t work with it (Sonos cannot access my playlists even though it lists them), and the connection with Bluetooth is very unreliable.

I am returning my second Sonos roam to the retailer for a full refund and will never purchase another Sonos product again. The Sonos Roam is very probably the worst consumer product I have ever had the stupidity to buy.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

17 replies

Take care!  Brush your hair!

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

What did support say when you contacted them?

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

Two new speakers with same issue?? Thinking it’s more user error. Anyway, you take care. 

Two new speakers with same issue?? Thinking it’s more user error. Anyway, you take care. 

No, not user error thank you. I’ve gone through the troubleshooting steps twice and it’s still not working properly (the music playback is interrupted every few seconds for half a second or so, like a bad vinyl LP. Besides, how can you have ‘user error’ with a Bluetooth connection!! AND I don’t have any problems connecting to my other Bluetooth equipment.  No, it’s simply a very unreliable product. 

The issues with the two speakers were different: the first didn’t work at all. Even the store I bought it from couldn’t get it going. 🙄

I didn’t bother contacting them for two reasons:

1. I read the reports in this community of how unhelpful they were and how much time they consumed without result.

1. It is a Bluetooth speaker for God’s sake - it should work out of the box!
  2. I’d had to return the first one and this issue was enough evidence for me to conclude it’s an unreliable product and that if I have issues with Bluetooth and Apple Music then I’m going to have issues with its more advanced wifi features. I font need that hassle!

I didn’t bother contacting them for three reasons:

1. I read the reports in this community of how unhelpful they were and how much time they consumed without result.

1. It is a Bluetooth speaker for God’s sake - it should work out of the box!
  2. I’d had to return the first one and this issue was enough evidence for me to conclude it’s an unreliable product and that if I have issues with Bluetooth and Apple Music then I’m going to have issues with its more advanced wifi features. I font need that hassle!

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Do you want help with sorting the issue?  My experience with tech support is the polar opposite unhelpful.  You've accepted a the negative comments as the norm when Sonos has millions of customers and plenty that find the support to be very good, but they don’t post as their problems are sorted.

This is a support community, we try to help each other.  Occasionally we can all get frustrated and have a rant, but if you don’t actually want any help why bother? 

No thanks. I shouldn’t need recourse to a user community for a speaker. 

Then why are you here?

It isn’t just a speaker. It’s a network computer with audio output capabilities, designed to operate as part of a multi-room music system.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

And that’s why it does not work out of the box on bluetooth…….

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/4994?language=en_US

It isn’t just a speaker. It’s a network computer with audio output capabilities, designed to operate as part of a multi-room music system.

I Realize that. But it’s not a good start is it, if the first component of the network I intended to build is so unreliable. I hate to think of the trouble I’d have with a network of them, where the number of relationships between nodes increases exponentially with the number of nodes present ... 

Then why are you here?

I came here to check other users’ experiences and advice. As one member Of this forum stated, it could’ve been a user problem; but with the number of similar issues and unhappy users reported in this forum it appears that I’m far from alone. Besides, I have a physics degree from Imperial College London, I’ve worked as a semiconductor process engineer, I know how to sort technical problems. So it is quite clearly not a user issue.

I won’t be responding to any further comments as I’m returning the unit  

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

@PBNZ Did you use your roam with or without a case/cover?

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

Hi

I made a tread previously because I had too many issues with my Roam, and reading many helpful treads here in the comunity I found many helpful advices.    I have my Roam since April, it is absolutely a great speaker, it sounds gorgeous being too small, it has all the smart features that you won’t find in any other speaker, waterproof design and ready to play music anywhere you go, with Wifi and Vluetooth. Yea,    I  struggled a lot with it to make it work as expected,  Mine has been working ok since I made a large network reboot, rebooting the network hardware and disconnecting many devices,  I mainly use it with Alexa voice control,   Spotify Connect or with the native Apple Music app either with Airplay or Bluetooth, or occasionally with the Sonos app, I haven’t noticed any stoppage or skipping since then,  so far. The only thing that is getting me worried is that I lost its power cord and I don’t know how to charge it safely, I’m using my iPad Pro USBC Power cord to charge it, and I’m afraid my speaker would get damaged at some point, Where can I buy a new power cord and the Sonos power adapter for Roam? What should I do if the battery or the speaker get in a fault condition? Kind regards  

Sonos sells replacement cables and chargers on their website, but there is nothing wrong with your current method of charging, and it won’t harm the Roam in any way.