Answered

Hard wired speakers not showing connected to amp and only one plays

I have 2 hard wired non-Sonos speakers that were working fine for almost a year and then one stopped working.  I reset the amp and then the one that wasn't working started to work and the other was silent.  On my app in shows no line-in connected but I checked all of the connections. Any ideas?

icon

Best answer by buzz 18 August 2022, 20:03

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

11 replies

What do you mean by “reset”. I don’t recommend a Factory Reset without further consult. “Reboot” by simply removing power is OK.

Check the connections again. Your issue suggests a bad connection. As a diagnostic step you can reverse left and right inputs. If the problem moves AMP is OK and the problem is elsewhere. You can also swap speaker connections. If the problem moves to the other speaker, the problem is not the speaker or speaker wiring.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

How did you “reset” the Amp?

Try powering off the Amp and your router. Power up the router and wait for it and the wifi to fully restart. Then power on the Amp and see how that goes. 

I meant re-boot!  Sorry for the confusion.  I will try these options now. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

In the app only the Amp would show, not the speakers. The line-in only shows when you connect a CD-player or similar to it. Line-in says nothing about the speakers.

One more dumb question.  I have 2 hard wired speakers attached to my amp but on the Sonos app it says disconnected under Line-In when I pull up the speakers.  Should that say connected?

AMP does not indicate when speakers are connected. It will indicate that a Line-In is not connected. Make sure that RCA plugs are fully seated in the jacks. Also, some RCA plugs have a short center pin. There is a switch inside the RCA Jack that detects the plug. If the pin is too short, the plug will not be detected.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Line-in is where you connect a for example CD-player, that brings sound into your system. If nothing is connected to the line-in, the app will tell you.

As I said line-in has nothing to do with your speakers.

thanks.  That helped so much. 

Unlike traditional audio equipment there is no direct connection between Line-In and the amplifier. Line-In accepts analog input and outputs this to the network. Any combination of players on the network can play this Line-In. The amplifier section gets its input from the network. As such the amplifier has access to any compatible music on the network. Line-In and the amplifier share the same shell, otherwise they are independent devices.

Unlike traditional audio equipment there is no direct connection between Line-In and the amplifier. 

But there has to be a provision of some kind for this; how else would a lone Connect Amp, drive speakers with Line in as the source? I could try this as well but will ask first - if a lone Connect Amp with line in set up to autoplay, were to then have its WiFi turned off when wired to the router, and if the LAN wire was then to be pulled would deliver no sound when the source wired to Line In kicked in?

PS: tested for just that with a wired unit that has WiFi turned off. With the Lan wire pulled, it still plays music from Line in.

There is an internal network connection.