Answered

Getting Sonos and Ubiquiti to play nice

• 15 July 2021
  • 3 replies

I have a problem that has been driving me crazy for the last month, and I really hope someone can help me out.

I recently moved to a new house, where I have set up a wireless network using a router connected to three Ubiquity Unifi 6 Lite access point. Two are on the ground floor and one on the first floor.

All in all, the network performance is great, except for one thing; connection to my Sonos speakers. I have a couple of different speakers; 3 Play:1's, a Sonos Move, an Arc and a IKEA Symfonisk bookshelf speaker. Everything is set up using the new Sonos S2 platform.

The problem is, that while I can usually set up the speakers fine enough in the Sonos app, they tend to disappear and re-appear in the app at random. This happens both when I want to play music, but they also just cut out randomly when music is playing.

My current assumption is that the issue is related to that the speakers each connect to different Unifi APs, and that they somehow can't see each other across the network. I have tried resetting and re-installing the speakers multiple time but nothing works.

I would be incredibly grateful if anyone can help with a solution to my problem, and hopefully something that doesn't require me to hard-code all the devices in my house to a certain network-configuration.

Thanks in advance!

icon

Best answer by RasmusBang 15 July 2021, 11:46

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

The best solution would be to get the Sonos speakers off the Ubiquity network, by wiring one of them (not being a surround or Sub) or a Sonos Boost to the main node of the Ubiquity system.

Thanks for the help @106rallye. I got some advice from some people on the Ubiquiti-boards, and it seems (knock on wood) that setting up a seperate 2.4GHZ network just for the Sonos-speakers did the trick for me

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

I fooled with getting Sonos and my Ubiquity gear to play well together, found too many restrictions on the setup needed to accommodate Sonos requirements.

I moved my Ubiquity APs to use two clear 2.4 GHz channels and Sonos, in wired - SonosNetmode, to use the third.