Answered

Dropping out on just one zone at a time

• 7 August 2021
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Hi All

Long time Sonos user of over 13years…. 

Nothing has changed in my setup, but I’m experiencing a strange issue where one of my Zones will drop out when playing a radio station over the internet. All other zones continue playing. The Zone will then come back on a couple of minutes later, and a while later a different zone might drop out! 

As it’s different zones at different times, I’ve ruled out hardware… also a zones use Play 1 and also Sonos Connect, so it’s not even the same hardware each time. 

My setup is that I have 5 zones… 3 have Play 1 devices and 2 have Connect devices. 1 of the connect devices is connected via wire to the router, the others are all wireless…. I’m unsure whether they are using their own network created by Sonos, or whether they use my WiFI…. In the old days I don’t think using the house WiFi was an option and now it is. 

A zone can play fine for 30 minutes and then drop out for a minute…. the device that last did it is in the same room as a WiFi access point, so no WiFi connection issue…

I wonder how I can go about identfying the cause. 

I did just submit a diagnostic report in case that’s of any help…. : 2061665280 is the reference number. 

I’d appreciate any help. 

Thanks

icon

Best answer by Corry P 10 August 2021, 10:51

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

If you have one Sonos product wired to the router, then usually all will be running on SonosNet. I would perhaps start by changing your routers 2.4Ghz WiFi and SonosNet channels… find the two least-used (non-overlapping) channels (using channel 1, 6 or 11 only) in your locality and use one of them for SonosNet and the other for your router WiFi. 

Set the routers 2.4Ghz band channel-width to 20MHz only.

I would make sure to fix the router WiFi channels, rather than allowing the router to select the channels on startup/reboot.

Also ensure the wired Sonos product is well away from the router, at least one metre away is often suggested. 

If you have your router’s WiFi credentials stored in your Sonos App network settings, then perhaps remove those too, thats if you are not using any Sonos portable devices (Move/Roam), as those are not needed by Sonos when running on SonosNet and it will help prevent your devices hopping between the SonosNet signal and your WiFi signal.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

What router?

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

thanks for the suggestions. I’ve Ubiquiti Lite APs (3x) in the house… 1 at one end (ch 6) one in the middle (ch 11) and one at the other end (ch 6) - sonos is set to run on ch 1….. so from that point of view all should be good. 

I’ve a couple of speakers wired… both run back to a HP ProCurve 1800 24 port switch and that it turn goes to the Vodafone provided router for the internet. The Vodafone router is only used for the internet connection - nothine else is connected to it. The remainder of the speakers are wireless running on Sonosnet. 

Here’s a copy of my current matrix. 

The strange thing is, if I disconnect the living room sonos from the LAN and instead use Sonosnet wifi then the dining room speaker gets a really pour and intermittent connection… even though it doesn’t get its connection from the living room… It’s coming from the wired kitchen speaker? 

I don’t get it!!!

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

could it perhaps be that the kitchen can send to the dining room and masterbedroom no problem… but if i disconnect the living room from the wired and the kitchen has to send there too, it suddenly can’t cope with sending as strong a signal to dining room, masterbedroom and livingroom at the same time? It’s a play 1 device…. is it not powerful enough to cope with sending on to 3 others? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @haverer2 

The only issue your system is reporting is a possible IP address conflict - I recommend you switch off your router/APs for at least 30 seconds. You may also want to look into reserving static IP addresses for Sonos devices.

The issue you are experiencing I think can be resolved easily - I see a lot of multicast flooding on the wired Connect, coming from somewhere else on the network (not Sonos). Please enable IGMP Snooping/Filtering on your network, which will prevent this, or find the source and tell it to stop.

I hope this helps.

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

That's really interesting and thanks for getting back to me. Over the weekend I striped the network back and turned things back on gradually as I suspected something like you mention... I found a raspberry pi which was causing an issue... Every time I plugged it in Alexa responses would be very intermittent for example... Unplug it and everything starts working well. I've no idea what it is about the pi installation which is causing the network issues.... But for now I'll leave it off!!!

Thanks again

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Glad I could help, @haverer2! You’re very welcome!