Answered

Controlling Sonos while connected by VPN?

• 20 January 2021
  • 2 replies

I love using Sonos to control my home audio environment (I have five devices throughout the house), but now I must frequently connect to my work network by VPN (because I’m working primarily from home due to the pandemic). After I connect to my work network using CIsco AnyConnect VPN client, I’m no longer to access my Sonos system on my home network.  Instead, the Sonos application displays a message that says “You’re on a different wireless network than Sonos...”.  I’d like to control my home Sonos network while connected to my VPN work network. One option in the Cisco client is to “Allow local LAN access when using VPN - if configured”. That seems like it would allow me to do both at the same time, but I’ve selected it and it doesn’t work.  Please help?

icon

Best answer by controlav 20 January 2021, 04:51

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Your company have probably disabled that local LAN option so the VPN will always block Sonos. You should be able to just turn off the VPN entirely as an alternative, use the Sonos app, then reenable it to work again. Or just get another device and keep the VPN off of it.

Thanks for the suggestion. I’ll contact my company to see if they can enable that local LAN option on the VPN, that would be most convenient.  Once I’m connected to VPN with multiple applications open, it is disruptive to disconnect from VPN just to select a song or adjust the volume on Sonos.  Thanks!