Answered

Connection to Spotify was lost

• 18 May 2021
  • 3 replies

Diagnostics info confirmation number 1642358242

Can someone at Sonos tell me what’s going on?

icon

Best answer by Corry P 18 May 2021, 16:18

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @FarmhouseCrossFit 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

Your Sonos One labelled Farmhouse Upstairs2 Group had trouble receiving the stream from the internet correctly. As it’s in charge of the whole group, this affected playback on the whole group. It’s seems this is mostly likely due to a token mismatch  issue (tokens being what’s exchanged between servers to describe your accounts).

First, please check if there is an update available for your Spotify app and install it if there is.

Next, in the Sonos app, remove Spotify. Settings » Services & Voice » Spotify » Remove Account.

Now add Spotify back on to Sonos. Settings » Services & Voice » Add a Service (at the very bottom of the page) » search for Spotify » Spotify » Add to Sonos.

Test playback of Spotify from the Sonos app. If that works, and you usually play from within the Spotify app, try that now.

If this hasn’t helped, I recommend your switch your router, Sonos devices and Tenda Access Points off. Once they’ve all been off for at least 30 seconds, switch the router back on and when it’s fully online, turn Tenda back on too. Once Tenda WiFi access is back, switch on Sonos. Wait for solid white lights, then test once more.

I hope this helps.

I ended up having to reconnect/sync all wireless units 1by1, and that fixed the problem. 

Is there anyway to prevent this problem from happening in the future?

Can I change which unit is “in charge of all units” so that it’s a more centrally located unit in regard to the rest of units?

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @FarmhouseCrossFit 

I ended up having to reconnect/sync all wireless units 1by1, and that fixed the problem. 

If this means that you factory reset all your Sonos devices, this fixed the problem by effectively removing the Spotify account and adding it again (amongst doing other things). We recommend never doing this unless instructed to by our technical support team. It’s almost always massive overkill and comes with a risk.

Is there anyway to prevent this problem from happening in the future?

Not really - sometimes the tokens just get mixed up. This could be due to software updates on the speakers, the Spotify app, our servers or Spotify servers. Add a Voice Assistant into the mix, and it could be tokens involving that or the music service. Removing and adding the affected account normally fixes it.

Resetting your entire system absolutely can be avoided and resets should never be attempted without our instruction (unless you’re selling a unit).

Can I change which unit is “in charge of all units” so that it’s a more centrally located unit in regard to the rest of units?

Yes. Disband the group and recreate it selecting either a speaker that’s wired or one in the intended group that’s closest to one that is wired, first. Note that while this is good practice in general, it has nothing to do with Spotify authorisation as the whole system shares the same data about your accounts - no player needs to consult another to be able to play Spotify (or any other online service) on it’s own. When grouped-in, the rooms not selected first don’t care where the music comes from - they consider the source to be the speaker in charge of the group (the Group Coordinator).