Coax Digital Audio cable

Badge
  • Contributor II
  • 6 replies

I’m in the process of upgradng from a Sonos Connect to a Port.

Before I do so I’m trying to test the connectivity between the Connect and my amp, to see if the amp is up to the job.  I’ve gone and purchased what I’m told is a coax digital cable (a Digitech WV7304 from Jaycar), and connected it to the “coax” output on the Connect but just can’t make it work.  I was previously using the “optical” output port and that was working fine.  (So all I’ve done is replace the optical cable with what I’m told is a digital coax cable; my thinking being that if I can make the new cable work with the Connect then I should be fine to go ahead and purchase the Port.)

So my question is, what exactly is a digital coax cable, and does this differ from a modern rca/rca cable?  Have I gone an purchased the wrong cable, or do I have some other (hidden) problem??

Thanks.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @pac 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

A coaxial cable is a coaxial cable. It’s the signal that travels over the cable that’s digital. Therefore, any coaxial cable will do the job (you could use one half of a normal RCA cable, if you like). Although cable manufacturers would like you to spend top money on a “Digital Coaxial Cable”, the truth of the matter is that a digital signal is less susceptible to EM interference than an analogue one. So, if anything, a cable for digital use doesn’t need as much shielding as one for analogue use and should be cheaper. Having said that I just looked up your Digitech WV7304 which appears to be a standard RCA cable - just make sure you use the same wire for each end of the connection (if you use the left wire at the Connect, use the left wire at the Amp).

Your problem may also be due to the selector on your amplifier - it may need to be changed to a different input (though sometimes the optical and coaxial inputs are electrically linked and essentially identical after the input socket).

In our No sound from Port or Connect help page, there are these instructions:

Check the volume

Depending on your Line-Out Level setting, you may need to adjust the volume in both the Sonos app and on your receiver.

To check your Line-Out Level setting:

1. Open the Sonos app for iOS or Android.
  2. From the Settings tab, tap System.
  3. Tap the room with your Port or Connect, then tap Line-Out Levels.

If you have your Line-Out Level set to Fixed, you will need to adjust the volume on the receiver or device that you have connected to Port or Connect. If the Line-Out Level is set to Variable or Pass-Through, try adjusting the volume on both the receiver and in the Sonos app. You may need to adjust the volume higher than you expect in some configurations.

Edit: I recommend you set Line Out to Fixed, for the best Signal-to-Noise ratio.

Please also be sure to remove the optical cable from the Connect.

the truth of the matter is that a digital signal is less susceptible to EM interference than an analogue one. So, if anything, a cable for digital use doesn’t need as much shielding as one for analogue use and should be cheaper.

As you’re using Digital Output, please set your Line-Out level to Fixed or Pass-Through.

New learning for me, that first bit, thanks.

As to the last sentence quoted - why? Why not use variable?

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Kumar 

the truth of the matter is that a digital signal is less susceptible to EM interference than an analogue one. So, if anything, a cable for digital use doesn’t need as much shielding as one for analogue use and should be cheaper.

As you’re using Digital Output, please set your Line-Out level to Fixed or Pass-Through.

New learning for me, that first bit, thanks.

As to the last sentence quoted - why? Why not use variable?

Because I was wrong :persevere:

When using digital output, line out levels only affects how you control volume. For best signal-to-noise ratio, Fixed should be used, but volume can only be controlled at the amplifier. If you have a “works with Sonos” amplifier, Passthrough should be used, and volume can be controlled in app or at amplifier. Variable allows volume control at app or amplifier but they are not linked as with Passthrough - with low volume in app and high volume at amplifier, you’ll get more background hiss. Audiophiles would never do this due to the SNR, but you’d still hear music.

I’ll edit my post above.

Badge

Thanks Corry, that at least clarifies my key question - “A coaxial cable is a coaxial cable“.

Sadly, though I still can’t make it work.  The Line-Out Level is set to Variable.  I know that the Connect is working as when I reconnect to the optical it works fine, and yet with all other outputs configs (be they the  coax or the L/R analogue), I can’t get it to produce a sound.  I’ve checked and I believe that I have all input settings on the Amp properly set.  So, a mystery.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

@pac

Do you have another device that has either digital coaxial out, or in? If you have one with “out”, you can test that your amplifier is OK. If you have one with “in”, you can test the Connect.

I assume the device that you’re most likely to own with coaxial would be a Hi-Fi CD Player separate, or DAT/Minidisc (remember those? Murdered by mp3 well before they deserved it.)

Edit: Just re-read your post - analogue doesn’t work either? Do you have another cable you can try?

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

The WV7304 is listed as an analogue video cable on the Jaycar website (RCA Plug to RCA Plug Cable - 1.5m | Jaycar Electronics). I used to use an Oehlbach cable (like this: Oehlbach NF 113 DI | Digitales Audio-Cinchkabel | Hochwertiges S/PDIF Koaxialkabel, Mehrfach Schirmung, 75 Ohm - blau | Digital Cinch | Kabel | Audio Equip | Oehlbach), though I'm not sure a specific cable is needed.

What's the Amp you are trying to connect the Connect with and what input are you using on it?

Badge

An update, thanks Corry,

I’m now using the analogue output from the Connect and have moved to another input channel on the Amp, and it’s now working.

I did mis-read your advice re the Variable v Fixed output, but I couldn't make it work in any case.

As soon as I plug in the coax cable it stops, which might be a conflict or it might be a fault within the Connect.  No matter, the Connect is 10+ years old, and I’ve now satisfied myself that I can swap over to the Port with confidence.  It may be that I have to use the analogue output on that when I get it (as opposed to the digital), but I’ve satisfied myself that the Amp will very likely work with the Port, which was my main point of investigation.

Thanks again for your help.

Badge

What's the Amp you are trying to connect the Connect with and what input are you using on it?

Thanks 106rallye.  It’s a Denon AVR-107, a few years old now, but a good quality unit and still in good nick.  I’ve connected the Connect to the CD input (analogue) and have it working now.  It’s given me the confidence to swap over to a new Port.

(This all came about as I purchased a new Roam and was “forced” to move to Sonos 2, which I’d been putting off, and that’s in turn caused me to upgrade to the Port from the Connect.)

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @pac 

I did mis-read your advice re the Variable v Fixed output, but I couldn't make it work in any case.

Probably not a mis-read - I edited my post.

I’m glad you’ve found a solution, and you may even find that the Port works via coaxial - if the Connect’s coaxial is faulty. Otherwise, the fault could be elsewhere.

You did remove the optical cable from the Connect’s port, I hope?

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

@106rallye 

The WV7304 is listed as an analogue video cable on the Jaycar website (RCA Plug to RCA Plug Cable - 1.5m | Jaycar Electronics).

Well spotted! I just looked at the title and picture. Video would only be one wire, so is that picture actually of two separate units? Mis-lead-ing to say the least (see what I did there? What a hoot).

Badge

Thanks @Corry P and @106rallye.  That’s the item I purchased, and yes, the picture is mis-lead-ing indeed :joy: (it’s simply showing both ends of the same cable).

And it sort of brought me ‘round in circles again.  The Sonos website advises to use a “digital coax cable” for setting up both a Connect and a Port. To the best of my knowledge the Jaycar item is a coax cable (even though they list it as an analogue video cable).  So both are referring to the same thing as far as I can tell, just different terminology.  It might be useful for the set-up instructions on the Sonos website to clarify (or explain) that a coax is simply a coax.

I’ve ordered the Port, and should get it later next week.  To close this loop, after I set it up I’ll put a brief post here to let you know how it went - that is, whether the coax/digital output worked, or whether I still had to rely on the analogue.

Thanks again, regards, Peter.