Answered

Can’t stream music to Playbar with TV off

• 3 April 2022
  • 4 replies

Have Playbar, Apple TV 4K and new Sony Bravia. Can stream music only with TV on. Music stops when TV is turned off.  Apple TV turns TV on when streaming music. Thanks in advance. 

icon

Best answer by GuitarSuperstar 3 April 2022, 21:56

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 7

The Playbar is connected to your TV’s optical port so the TV needs to be turned on to play music streaming on the Apple TV. If you want to stream music to the Playbar with the TV turned off, stream music directly from the Sonos app instead.

OK.  I’ve figured out how to stream music from the Sonos app to the Playbar without turning the TV on.  I guess the Playbar is too old to work with Airplay 2?  The only left is to figure out how to stream podcasts.  Any advice is appreciated.  

Yes, unfortunately, the PLAYBAR was conceived, designed, and implemented long before Apple released AirPlay 2, and consequently can not be a “target” for Apple’s system.

You can, however, target another speaker in your system, and “group” the PLAYBAR with it to get the AirPlay 2 signal to play out of the PLAYBAR. Something I used to do regularly. send an AirPlay 2 signal to a Sonos One, and then group the PLAYBAR with it. 

Great idea!  Thanks.