Can't get Bose 2008 Lifestyle Howeide Powered Speakers to work with AMP

Badge
  • Avid Contributor I
  • 7 replies

I have 10 Sonos ZP100s connected to 2008 Bose Lifestyle speakers. In readiness for upgrading to S2, I have bought an AMP to check it works with the Bose speakers. What happens (using S1) is that I can inititally get sound (good quality) but when the music stops playing, after 2 minutes there is a very loud hum.

Are these speakers compatible with the AMP?

Thanks

PS the Bose speakers have 6 ‘code’ switches; all have to be in the UP position for Sonos to work - but then you get the hum, so it does not seem to be a matter of configuring those.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

15 replies

I don’t know these speakers but if they are powered I’d be amazed if they worked with an Amp.  It needs passive speakers.

I have a vague recollection that the original ZP100 had some form of line out, dropped from all its successors.  Is that what you have been using?

A couple of further thoughts…

1. Why do you wish to upgrade to S2 at this point?
  2. If you are sure you wish to upgrade to S2, consider trying a pair of Sonos Fives, and compare with the sound you are getting with the ZP100 and Bose speakers.  I think you can use a single 30% upgrade discount to get a pair of Fives.
Badge

Thanks: all my ZP100s are plugged into this type Bose speakers - using the normal loudspeaker wires (not  Line Out). Everything worked perfectly for years until S1/S2 came along - then several of the ZP100s stopped working, and others do not always respond to the Sonos S1 volume control (in particular, you play something,, but no sound comes out unless you slide the volume up &down a few times, which then gets the sound to kick in).

The way it is looking I cannot simply upgrade mby ZP100s to AMPS, unless I also buy new speaker systems for each (10 of them!). 

Thanks: all my ZP100s are plugged into this type Bose speakers - using the normal loudspeaker wires (not  Line Out). Everything worked perfectly for years until S1/S2 came along - then several of the ZP100s stopped working, and others do not always respond to the Sonos S1 volume control (in particular, you play something,, but no sound comes out unless you slide the volume up &down a few times, which then gets the sound to kick in).

The way it is looking I cannot simply upgrade mby ZP100s to AMPS, unless I also buy new speaker systems for each (10 of them!). 

Hi.  Then these speakers, if active, must be dong something  clever to work with an amplified signal. 

Regarding your final comment, that is why I suggested trying a pair of Fives, which would give you, IMO, much better sound at a great price given the discount.  And you could recoup a bit selling your existing gear. Just a suggestion to consider.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @N7UK 

I think it’s worth me interjecting here due to the importance of what I need to say - for you, and others.

Sonos ZP100, ZP120, Connect:AMP (gen 1 and 2) and Amp products should never have their speaker outputs connected to the inputs of powered speakers. Powered speakers, by definition, are expecting a signal only powerful enough to register in electronics and then be amplified (usually peaking at 2v, I believe), not one that’s been amplified and is powerful enough to power a speaker. 

You may permanently damage your speakers and/or your Sonos devices doing this. The damage caused could conceivably become a fire hazard.

The Sonos products listed above are to be connected only to passive speakers, in the 4-8 Ohm impedance range (when 2 speakers are connected) or 8 Ohms only (when more than 2 speakers are connected). Details on our Setup your Sonos Amp and Setup your Sonos Connect:AMP pages.

I think you had probably been lucky up to the point where you replaced your older units with the Amp, which has more than double the output power of it’s predecessors.

The correct Sonos product for you to use would be the Sonos Port, which outputs a Line level for amplification by other devices, similar to the output from CD or Tape Hi-Fi separates, for example.

Please note that this is all assuming that your Bose speakers are in fact powered and not passive - without model numbers, I can’t say for sure.

Badge

Thanks Corry P. The speakers are described as ‘powered’, but they do not contain an amplifier. I have been running about 10 of those (off 10 ZP100s for about 15 years. I bought an AMP - was that wrong?

Many thanks

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @N7UK 

Thanks for the picture.

That “Bose Lifestyle Homewide powered speaker system” device will amplify - any device that takes a RCA line-in connection and drives speakers has an amplifier.

You have indeed had the incorrect Sonos devices all this time - I recommend a Sonos Port instead of the Amp, with it’s Analogue Output RCA connected to the “Audio In” RCA shown in the picture there.

The good news is that if you were planning on buying 10 Amps, you’ll save £2000 getting Ports instead!

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

And you are sure you're using ZP 100 (left) and not ZP90 (right)?

Badge

Yes - ZP100s (I have got 10+ of them). I have a Port (I bought it for a pair of Dale Rubicon 2C wireless speakers but I can't get them to work with it)

Yes - ZP100s (I have got 10+ of them). I have a Port (I bought it for a pair of Dale Rubicon 2C wireless speakers but I can't get them to work with it)

That would be because the Port is designed  to work with wired powered speakers (like your Bose speakers,  for example), or an amplifier and speakers.  Give it a try!

I repeat my suggestion that you get some Sonos Five speakers. And forget about Amps,  Ports and third party speakers. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

@N7UK 

When trying the Port you have with the Bose system, are you following the instructions on page 30 (34 of pdf file) in your manual? http://products.bose.com/pdf/customer_service/owners/og_ls_homewide_pss.pdf

I agree with @John B - it seems simpler to just have self-contained speakers in each room. Less devices in total, less wires, less remotes, volume control from the app. If you have other sources connected to that system, they could input to Sonos system via Port or any Fives.

@N7UK

When trying the Port you have with the Bose system, are you following the instructions on page 30 (34 of pdf file) in your manual? http://products.bose.com/pdf/customer_service/owners/og_ls_homewide_pss.pdf

I’m not sure that @N7UK  has tried this combination yet?

On a quick look, the Dali Rubicon 2Cs appear to require a proprietary wireless streaming device. I very much doubt that they are compatible with any Sonos device.

Badge

Gentlemen: thank you. both very much. The Port works fine with the Bose system (so I will now upgrade all my old XP100s to Ports).

As far as the Dali speakers go, it looks as though I made a mistake in buying them

Thank you for your help. Much appreciated!

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Reading up on the Dali’s, they need a Dali Sound Hub to connect anything that requires a cable connection, like the Port. https://www.whathifi.com/reviews/dali-rubicon-2-c