Answered

Bad Sonos connection, what to do?

Userlevel 1
Badge +3
  • Collaborator I
  • 26 replies

Hello,

I live in a 2-floor house (ground level and 1st floor), which has 500 Mb/s internet connection. I use a TP-link Mesh wifi setup to distribute internet: 3x Deco M9plus (one is the main Deco attached to my modem) + 2x Deco M5. All Decos are connected by Ethernet cable to the first Deco router using a switch (star network). I am on S2.

In my living room (ground level), there are 1x Connect GEN2 (connected to my HiFi system’s DAC) and 1x Sonos Amp (using 2x Sonos InCeiling speakers) + 1x Sonos Sub GEN2 + 2x One SL’s as surround (previously I had 2x Play 3s working flawlessly). All of these were connected via Ethernet cables except the One SLs (Amp+Connect+Sub are connected via Ethernet cable to the main Deco M0Plus). In this living room, there is also a second Deco M9plus using a ethernet backhaul. In the same level, I have another room where there is a 1x PlayBar (in this room there is also a Deco M5 using also Ethernet cable backhaul) connected via Ethernet cable to the Deco M5.

In the 1st floor, there is a Deco M9plus attached with ethernet backhaul where there are 3 rooms (in my bedroom has also a Deco M5, ethernet backhaul). In this room, I have a Sonos Boost connected to the Deco M5 via Ethernet cable, and there are 2x Symfonisk bookshelves paired, and connected via Sonos Net via the Boost.

Everywhere in the house, I have at least 200-250 Mb/s wifi speed.

Sonos setup is with Sonos Net (WM 0).

Everything was working OK until now. When I changed the Play 3s (surrounds via wifi Sonos Net), and when I made the setup for Sonos Onel SLs as surround, everything worked nicely. However, since a couple of days, the 2x Symfonisks and the 2x One SLs were not working.

This morning, I made a modem reset, reset of all switches and all Decos. The unplugged all Sonos material. Replug the Sonos system. In the beginning everything worked (Symfonisks, and all the other Sonos connected via ethernet cables, except the One SLs (the system does not see them)). I passed a couple of hours without success (when I unplugged the One SLs and replugged I did undo the surround setup, and they worked. But when I tried to do surround setup, the system lost them). Then, as there was another Deco M9Plus near the One SLs, I put another switch to the Deco and plugged the One SLs via ethernet cables. Now everything works normally but I would not like to have this switch and cables near my One SLs...

Could you help me?

icon

Best answer by Esat 12 April 2022, 19:23

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

37 replies

Sorry but I don't think my brain is up to taking that all in  but I will just say that if you have any surround speakers connected by Ethernet you should remove those cables, especially if the main HT device is wireless.

If you have set any of your wired devices to have 'WiFi disabled', please re-enable that setting.

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

Hi John B,

Thanks for the reply.

In summary, Sonos Amp does not see the One SLs when I try to make a surround setup.

Individually, if there is no surround setup, they work (Sonos App sees them). When trying to do a surround setup, they got lost…

When putting One SLs also on ethernet, everything works.

WiFi is not disabled…

When trying to do a surround setup, they got lost…

Could you be a bit more precise about what this means please?

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

Normally, when you buy the 2x One SL, and include to your system, they become first individual speakers. 

Then, you have 3 options: 1) use them individually in separate rooms, 2) create a stereo setup (LR), or use them as surround speakers with Sonos Amp (Dolby 4.1 in Sonos).

When I try to attach them to Sonos Amp without ethernet cables, the App cannot finish the setup, and they disappear from the App’s menu.

If I attach them via ethernet cables, it works…

Previously, I had Play 3s, and used them without any problem with Sonos Net wifi. I changed them to Sonos One SL (bought on February), they worked also for a while but today I could not do the surround setup without ethernet cable attachment.

Also, do you have wireless enabled on both the TP-Link and Deco?

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

TPlink Decos are my WiFi Mesh system. They work without any problem

As this has arisen 'overnight' and worked previously it may be a hardware fault. It would be worth submitting a system diagnostic after this has happened, and contact Support with the confirmation number. 

Or it might just be a temporary glitch, in which case you might want to power everything off and on again. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

Thank you very much. Should I call them or wait that they reply here?

Just to add a bit of color, and hopefully not confusion, surround speakers and Subs in a home theater room do not connect to the standard ‘SonosNet’ signal. When in the home theater configuration, they use a separate 5Ghz channel to connect to the ‘root’ of the home theater ‘room’, which, if I can understand the original post, is an Amp in this case. But it would be the same with a Sonos soundbar too. So additional sources of interference could be affecting the connection of your surrounds to the ‘front device’ of your Sonos home theater setup. 

Back to @John B ’s excellent assistance…..

Thank you very much. Should I call them or wait that they reply here?

I would call them, or perhaps chat online, once you have the diagnostic reference. You might also want to consider toggling ‘OFF’ the WiFi on the Amp and then try toggling it back ‘ON’ to make sure it is definitely working, as that is used to communicate wirelessly (over a 5Ghz Ad-hoc connection) with the two surrounds (ideally).

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

Thank you very much for your answers. I think that this is a 5 GHz issue because the Deco M9Plus is just between the 2 One SLs...

Where is the Amp situated? Is it in some closet, away from the living room?

How far is the living room Deco M9Plus from the two OneSLs?

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

Please find enclosed the plan. The AMP is in a closet.

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

And in the upstairs, there is another Deco M9Plus just the same level as Sonos AMP. There is a Deco M5 just the same level as Playbar (our bed room), on which a Sonos Boost is connected + 2x Symfonisk without cable connection (Sonos Net to the Boost). All Decos have ethernet cable connection to the Main Deco M9Plus. 

Have you tried a reboot of the Amp and checked that it’s WiFi adapter is ‘ON’ - also what happens if you bring the speakers closer to the Amp? Note, from a ‘bonded surround connection’ perspective, your Deco WiFi is not relevant, other than it’s signal might be interfering, but the Deco WiFi plays no role in a bonded setup. The main HT player (Amp) needs to communicate directly with its surrounds over an Ad-hoc wireless connection between the players. So, if practicable, maybe try to see what happens if you bring your speakers closer to the Amp, post reboot …and definitely toggle its WiFi adapter and check it is working. 

Please find enclosed the plan. The AMP is in a closet.

I’m trying to square that statement with the illustration, which shows the Amp in the living room somewhere close to the TV.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Try taking the Amp out of the closet and see if it’s blocking the 5Ghz wifi signal. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

Hello, thank you for your replies.

I took out the AMP from the closet (it is really near to the One SLs (6 m ?). I unplugged the AMP, and replugged (I do not know what you mean by “Have you tried a reboot of the Amp and checked that it’s WiFi adapter is ‘ON’ - also what happens if you bring the speakers closer to the Amp?”). 

Sonos AMP and the Sub are connected via ethernet cables to my router. Should I unplug their ethernet connection and leave with WiFi only?

When I unplug One SLs’ ethernet cables then in the App, my Sonos Amp becomes immediately “Salon Sonos Amp (+Sub+?+?)” instead of “Salon Sonos Amp (+Sub+HG+HD)”… Which means that One SLs disappear… When I replug the ethernet cables to the One SLs, it works again correctly...

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

Or maybe, I can reset all my system from Sonos Net to WiFi? What do you think?

Hello, thank you for your replies.

I took out the AMP from the closet (it is really near to the One SLs (6 m ?). I unplugged the AMP, and replugged (I do not know what you mean by “Have you tried a reboot of the Amp and checked that it’s WiFi adapter is ‘ON’ - also what happens if you bring the speakers closer to the Amp?”). 

See if this link assists you in relation to checking/enabling a Sonos products WiFi adapter… 

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3684

See if it’s enabled for the Amp.

What happens too when you uncable the Sub?

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

Hello, the WiFi was active (in fact, it is active in all products visible on the App...).

I will try tomorrow morning to uncable the Sub.

When I unplug One SLs’ ethernet cables then in the App, my Sonos Amp becomes immediately “Salon Sonos Amp (+Sub+?+?)” instead of “Salon Sonos Amp (+Sub+HG+HD)”… Which means that One SLs disappear… When I replug the ethernet cables to the One SLs, it works again correctly...

1. Did you give the OneSLs a chance to reconnect wirelessly (at least 1 minute)?
  2. You didn’t, by any chance, disable “WiFi” on the OneSLs while they were wired? 
Userlevel 1
Badge +3

Good morning Ratty (as I live in Switzerland, it is morning for me as well).

1. I waited at least half an hour when I disconnected the One SLs.
  2. In my AMP room “Salon Sonos Amp (+Sub+HG+HD)”, AMP, Sub, One SL L, and One SL R are all on “WiFi activated”.

If you go into Settings,  

System, Network, are your network's details (SSID, pw) in there? If so please remove them.

If that doesn't help, can you experimentally turn off the 5GHz band on your WiFi?

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

Hello John B.

As you suggested, I erased the local network details in System, Network (I had my previous house and this one’s names).

Then, in the Support section, I tried to find the missing units. The system found the 2x One SLs. Asked me if they were cabled or not via ethernet (I uncabled them before); I said no. Then the App asked me to unplug and replug the router and wait until it is functional, which I did. Then, the App succeeded to correct the system “Salon Sonos Amp (+Sub+HG+HD)” but a couple of minutes later it became again “Salon Sonos Amp (+Sub+?+?)”. I, then, repeated the same procedure. Again, it worked but couple of minutes later lost the One SLs…

Now, I plugged again the switch and the ethernet cables to the One SLs, and the system works correctly.

Bizarre, no?