Answered

Airplay onscreen code suggestion

• 20 December 2021
  • 5 replies

Many employers put restrictions on your phone as part of device management.  Many (like mine) require a code to use airplay on a device which is fine for TV’s or other devices that have a screen (code typically pops up that you can enter on your phone).  Sonos now has airplay capabilities, but no screen or passcode thus a problem.  A suggestion would be to add a pop up on a computer from sonos.com when trying to connect to an airplay sonos device for the first time.  Would solve the problem.  Or a standard passcode like 12345 that would work for any sonos.

icon

Best answer by James L. 21 December 2021, 15:40

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Badge +17

Hi @grinal,

Thanks for the feedback and suggestion.

I’m not entirely sure how possible that would be, considering the guidelines and limitations that are imposed when integrating Airplay into third-party products, but I’ve passed your comments on to our development team for consideration :slight_smile:

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

My experience with phones that have MDM software installed is that the corp VPNs they come with break Sonos use with them anyway, never mind any AirPlay PIN stuff they enforce.

maybe but not in my experience.  I’ve had corp on my phone for the past decade+ and 2 companies and this is the only sonos glitch I’ve encountered.

I just encountered this issue with a new Sonos Roam -- it is really frustrating to not be able to play music on my iPhone on the device.  The suggestion for having a standard code is an approach used by many other devices when pairing with Bluetooth, but the Roam is already paired.  If a standard passcode cannot be implemented then perhaps the sonos app could mediate the connection with AirPlay.  Please find a fix for this.

It’s odd. I’ve never had any issue playing music on my Roam, either via Bluetooth, when that is active, or  via WiFi, when that is active, from either my iPhone or my iPad. In fact, I’m listening to Christmas music right now using Bluetooth from my iPad. 

As far as I’m aware, any ‘codes’ needed when using AirPlay 2 are required by Apple’s software, and not ever by Sonos.