AirPlay 2: Loud iPhone System Sounds When Casting Music

• 9 January 2022
  • 8 replies

Hey Sonos Community,

Summary
When using airplay to cast music to Sonos speakers, my iPhone 13 Pro iOS 15.2 system sounds (keyboard clicks, Lock Screen chime) get irritatingly loud to the point where you can’t use it. The Sound & Haptics indicate they have not changed. 

Expected behaviour
When casting music from the iPhone to Sonos through Airplay, I should expect to be able to easily control music volume. I should also expect system sounds to be unaffected.

Actual behaviour
When using Airplay, I can control music volume but system sounds automatically get dialled up to 10 and so any system sounds that get played through the iPhone are dangerously loud.

More info
Looking at Apple and Sonos forums, this appears to be an issue since at least 1 year ago with no fix in sight. I’d really like Sonos or Apple to look into it since it completely ruins the experience and makes me question the amount I spent setting up the sound system.

I have no issues when using the Sonos app but I much prefer to use Airplay for a smoother experience.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

If anyone is experiencing the same thing, particularly on their iPhone 13 Pro, let me know please. Or if there’s a workaround.

Hi, iphone 12 pro user here, same problem, no solution unfortunately but I think I managed to find the potential culprit, namely strangely enough everything is working fine unless I use the control center, from then it gets loud until I press stop within the casting app, can you confirm?

Yes this is a problem for me also. I’ve turned my sound off my iPhone because it’s so loud. I just got my system this week and was so excited about it, until this started happening. The system runs flawlessly—it’s just my phone. 

Hi all - I’m joining the dots here.

I’m using a iPhone 12 pro currently on the latest iOS 15.3

I’ve been facing this issue for more than a year now. I have been on the phone with Apple for more than an hour today because i wanted to finally sort it once and for all… Spoke to the senior technicial and he seemed to be clueless, though very helpfully trying to figure it out. It definitely seems to be an issue when connected to airplay to Sonos… I found 2 other forums that speak about this same issue:

https://www.reddit.com/r/AppleMusic/comments/q7vubh/volume_behaviour_of_playback_device_while_using/

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/252586196

Conclusion - Apple support I spoke to is looking into it… and raised with engineers.

I wonder if Sonos tech support could look into this - perhaps push an update to the app? I have a feeling its Sonos’ airplay issue?...

In the meantime, when i’m on airplay, i switch my phone silent mode.

Having other issues with control center I am leaning towards Apple rather than sonos but who knows…

Issue still present for me, now on iOS 15.4 using iPhone 11 Pro. For me it’s not isolated to Sonos products but also Apples own HomePod mini… 

Issue still present for me, now on iOS 15.4 using iPhone 11 Pro. For me it’s not isolated to Sonos products but also Apples own HomePod mini… 

This makes sense. When you Airplay to Sonos you are barely using the Sonos system at all. You are just playing to a bunch of Airplay-compatible speakers that happen to have been manufactured by Sonos.

Airplay is basically Bluetooth that uses WiFi.  And just like Bluetooth, the Airplay device becomes nothing but an extension of your phone’s speaker.