Will this work?

• 24 October 2023
  • 3 replies

Current set up in living room:

75” TV

SKY Q 

Sonos soundbar, sub and 2 x 5’s (group - living room)

We want to use a projector in the living room without chasing walls for cabling - we have refurbed the room not long ago.

The projector will go on the ceiling in the living room and receive video signal via hdmi from bedroom above living room.

The problem is getting sound to the current Sonos surround set up without cables.

My solution. Install a Sonos Beam 2 in the bedroom. When we want to watch the projector, “group” the Beam with living room group (mute the Beam).

I know it works, and will produce sound. However, will latency be a major issue? And will the sound be in Dolby 5.1 etc or plain old stereo?

Much appreciated.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Anything grouped with a TV source is going to be delayed by ~70ms and only in stereo.  For low-latency and surround sound, you need to connect via HDMI-ARC or the optical adapter. 

Thanks for the response. The Beam will be connected to the TV by hdmi, and therefore will receive and play surround sound?

If i then group it with the downstairs speakers, will they not be in surround sound too?

Thanks for the response. The Beam will be connected to the TV by hdmi, and therefore will receive and play surround sound?

If i then group it with the downstairs speakers, will they not be in surround sound too?

The Beam in the bedroom will get surround sound.  The downstairs room, since it is grouped to the upstairs Beam, will get only stereo, and it will be delayed.