Answered

Will a Sonos Five provide analog output of preamp line-in?

• 2 November 2023
  • 8 replies

I have my dad’s old records and record player, I would like to get a nice speaker to enjoy all of this vintage gear, however, I don’t have any speakers to play it on. I currently have an Arc and it would be nice to add a Five or some Eras for surround sound movie listening in addition to record listening.

My question is if the line-in to the Sonos speakers digitizes the input or if it will remain analog as long as it’s not streamed to the Arc and surrounding speakers?

icon

Best answer by GuitarSuperstar 2 November 2023, 20:25

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Userlevel 7

The audio will be converted to digital.

Also, when a Sonos speaker is being used as a surround speaker in a Sonos home theater setup, it disables the line-in feature on that speaker.

Thanks for the feedback, this is kind of a bummer because I'd like for all of my speakers to work together and use them in analog when I want. I'll have to find another solution I guess or just suck it up and lose the true hi fi life. 

Thanks for the feedback, this is kind of a bummer because I'd like for all of my speakers to work together and use them in analog when I want. I'll have to find another solution I guess or just suck it up and lose the true hi fi life. 

The audio is not going to lose any quality being converted to digital.  That is a complete myth.  

The audio is not going to lose any quality being converted to digital.  That is a complete myth.  

Well if it is compressed it certainly could be changed and I'm looking to avoid that 

I don’t think you’re going to find any analog wireless speaker systems.

Well if it is compressed it certainly could be changed and I'm looking to avoid that 

Simply turn Line-In compression OFF. The audio will remain in 16/44.1 lossless WAV format. If you should experience any audio dropouts due to wireless network issues then wind the buffering up to 2000ms. 

By the way I wouldn’t worry in the slightest about AD/DA conversion. Your vinyl will have done much more damage to the original signal given the inherent shortcomings of the medium. 

Set it to uncompressed.  That's lossless sampling, it will sound identical to the analog in.

Thanks all for your responses!