Skip to main content
Answered

wifi not finding device

• 25 June 2024
  • 9 replies

I’ve set my speaker up with Ethernet and works fine. When trying to set WiFi connection it says it can’t find the speaker 

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @missels 

Welcome to the Sonos Community! And, apologies for the delay.

I’m sorry to hear of the issue you’ve have with getting your speaker working on WiFi.

We are aware of an issue whereby speakers that do not have BTLE (BlueTooth Low Energy) will not complete WiFi setup, and are investigating. Your Play:1 is affected. We do not have an estimate for when a fix will be made available, but I will update this thread when one is.

We recommend that you continue to use the ethernet connection in the meantime, as the only other recourse would be to factory reset your Play:1 and reset the Sonos app, then set it up as a new system. Please be aware that if you do this, you will lose any saved Sonos favourites and Sonos playlists.

I hope this helps.

Thanks. Sorted

Badge +2

Diagnostic ***********

I have tried ALL of the suggestions in threads with this problem, and northing has allowed me to reconnect to my Sonos. I do not have access to transfer or reset on an iPad Pro Gen 4 (a year and a half old). I am running IOS 17.2. Sonos works fine on my iMac but not on my iPad. Please help.

Most other answers I have found on this forum are for Sonos Two; I have Sonos One. Have plugged and unplugged, the box, the router, and all of the speakers. It is connected to an ethernet. Settings on my my Ipad are correct.

Moderator edit: Diagnostic number recorded and removed.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Narrow Sparrow 

That diagnostic was submitted at a time when the app was not able to communicate with your speakers, so there is little information there for me to work with. As you are on S1 software (not Sonos One - that’s a speaker model), you are not affected by the software issue present on S2. I recommend that you contact our technical support team for assistance. Incidentally, your Play:5 speakers are presently online, so if the Sonos app does not find them, it is likely due to network issues/topology, which the team should be able to locate and help you with.

I hope this helps.

Badge +2

Thanks, Corry P. Thanks for teaching me proper terminology as well offering a diagnosis of the problem... I have kind of given up on Sonos tech support; I was on hold for an hour and thirty five minutes, and then the call center shut down as it was 7 PM EST. I live in CST.

Now I have to ask a dumb question. By network, do you mean my provider? I recently switched from Verizon to Spectrum. No other wireless stuff quit working, just Sonos. That it works on my computer and not my iPad is a network probem?

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Pretty sure he was thinking your local network but then you mentioned Spectrum and I recall seeing several mentions of it here. A search might turn up a solution if it is a Spectrum router issue.

So it is kind of “your provider” not the Internet side but the local side.

Badge +2

Thank you, Stanley_4. Providers always screw up my iPad. I dropped Verizon -- by the book. The transfer pin, the follow-up call to be sure my iPad had been removed from their service, etc. Got a $170 bill saying I owed them for my iPad subscription. Said “the promotion” (!?!?) was over. But I dropped Verizon, right?

I refused, but they would not relent. So I am paying it out. Now I guess I have two companies (Spectrum & Verizon) covering my iPad, but it still won’t pick up Sonos. 

The “greyed-out system, account, etc.”problem seems to appear a lot on these pages. I’ve read most of them. I don’t recall reading about Spectrum in particular, but I am going to call them tomorrow.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Narrow Sparrow 

As @Stanley_4 rightly mentions, there are some known compatibility issues with some Spectrum hardware. As Spectrum is (as far as I am aware) limited to the USA, and I am in the UK, I’m not particularly familiar with these issues, or their workarounds. Your local Sonos support team will be, however - I’m sure they will get to the root of the problem quickly once they know what hardware you have.

Badge +2

Thank you again, Corry P. I plan to visit with Spectrum later today. Should that not solve the problem, I will spend the next day hopefully connecting with a Sonos tech who knows about this problem.Sonos phone service is not what it used to be!
Thanks to all volunteering to help me with this issue.😊