Skip to main content

Complete audio system stoped again unexpectedly again today. Of course it’s a Sonos update.  it’s 2023 shouldn’t the software updates simply limit new functionality until updated not break the whole system, it’s a little ridiculous.  I used to be proud of my Sonos system, the sound quality and speaker arrangement but these days it’s more of just a hassle - a very expensive hassle.

Probably wouldn’t be that big of a deal if the software updates were smooth and it just updated like normal software - but instead of I get the same message, “An unexpected error occurred. Please try again late.” Wow thanks.  So not only does the software not work, the whole system is useless until the software does work and/or I go out of my way to trouble shoot some damn new feature that I probably don’t want. Frustrating. 1/5 do not recommend.

</frustrated rant> 

It’s not the update, otherwise you’d see thousands of posts.  We get about a half dozen of these after every update because the rebooting that occurs uncovers network problems. Specifically duplicate IP addresses. These will cause sporadic connections, disappearing components, etc. To solve, reboot/power cycle each of these in order:

Modem
Router
Hubs or switches
Wired Sonos components
Wireless Sonos components
Computers, printers
Phones, tablets, all other wireless devices

Note you can prevent duplicate IP addresses by reserving a permanent IP for each Sonos unit in your router setup. See your router manual for details.

Thanks for the insight - my machine does have 2 IP addresses - by design. rebooting every device in the house everyone Sonos decides to do whatever it is they do seems off - I don’t need to reboot all devices for any other update - just speakers… it’s odd.  * update Odd being dumb.

Thanks for the insight - my machine does have 2 IP addresses - by design. rebooting every device in the house everyone Sonos decides to do whatever it is they do seems off - I don’t need to reboot all devices for any other update - just speakers… it’s odd.  * update Odd being dumb.

Nobody expects you to do this every time Sonos acts up.  Do it once, then reserve IP addresses to prevent it from ever happening again.

As to it being odd, it is not odd (or dumb) for a consumer router to go haywire whenever it loses track of its IP allocation table.  This usually doesn’t show up as visible in standalone devices, but it wreaks havoc with multi-room devices like Sonos, which need to communicate with each other several hundred times a second.  Either way, reserving IP addresses for each Sonos device will fix it forever.

I had the same problem and found out that I needed a new app for Mac. I downloaded it to replace my old one and the new one works seamlessly. 

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/downloads

By any chance are you on a Mac?