What happened Sonos? You used to be beautiful. Time to try another system...

• 19 October 2023
  • 10 replies

Badge

Sonos worked fine for us for years but, for some reason our Sonos system pooped the bed several months ago and is, unfortunately, unfixable.  Why Sonos tanked we cannot say.  Sonos seems no longer to be able to maintain their own, simple tech.  It’s slipped away from them.

There is no way we have the time to be on the phone with Sonos each time there is a problem, and there is no way Sonos will help figure out the big picture.  They can address why our speakers disconnect each time it happens (which is each time we try to use Sonos), but they can’t tell us why it happens every day, nor fix all the other problems we have with the app every day (play button doesn’t work, everything grayed out, spinning wheel, music continues to play after Sonos quits and many more)

So, it’s clearly time to cut our losses, sell the system on eBay and try something else.

What is a good alternative to Sonos?  Being able to use Spotify is critical.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

Fix your network!  Unless you do that, any alternative to Sonos is going to be just as problematic, or even worse.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Why post this to Sonos community members instead of posting something to the Spotify forums where you could ask for a better system than Sonos to listen to them?

Just a hint here, but if we had found something better wouldn’t we have left these forums and gone to the forums for our new system?

Badge

Fix your network!  Unless you do that, any alternative to Sonos is going to be just as problematic, or even worse.

There is no problem with my network.  It is unchanged.  The problem is Sonos.

Let’s discuss alternative systems.  Be positive.

Badge

Why post this to Sonos community members instead of posting something to the Spotify forums where you could ask for a better system than Sonos to listen to them?

Just a hint here, but if we had found something better wouldn’t we have left these forums and gone to the forums for our new system?

Because no doubt other Sonos users are also in the same position I’m in, and at least some of them must be trying other systems.  To get us back on topic, what other system might you recommend?  You mentioned Spotify.  Do they have a speaker system?

There is no problem with my network.  It is unchanged.  The problem is Sonos.

Let’s discuss alternative systems.  Be positive.

It's your network.  I've heard hundreds of people claim their network is fine, then follow some simple advice to fix network problems.  Amazingly, Sonos problems are cured because indeed, it was their network.

So, do you want to cure your Sonos problems or not?  If not, I suggest this is not the place to go to find alternatives to Sonos, and even if it were, any suggestions are going to have the same problems, unless you fix your network.

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

Because no doubt other Sonos users are also in the same position I’m in, and at least some of them must be trying other systems.  To get us back on topic, what other system might you recommend?  You mentioned Spotify.  Do they have a speaker system?

Yeah you should def try out Spotify’s speaker system, it’s da bomb. 😂

Badge

Yeah you should def try out Spotify’s speaker system, it’s da bomb. 😂

No need to troll the forums.  I have reported your comments.

Userlevel 1

As already stated - fix your network.

all the other problems we have with the app every day (play button doesn’t work, everything grayed out, spinning wheel, music continues to play after Sonos quits and many more)

All symptoms of network packet loss.

Despite assertions to the contrary the network is not okay. When “nothing’s changed” the usual culprits are (1) a new, often external, source of wireless interference or (2) IP address duplication caused by a wonky router. 

For (1) see https://support.sonos.com/article/reduce-wireless-interference and

For (2) reboot the whole network and, to avoid a recurrence, reserve fixed IP addresses via the router configuration pages. 

Please provide some details of your experience with Sonos support, the troubleshooting steps you took, what sort of network configuration you have.   That would be much more helpful to other users.

And obviously this is not the best place to discuss alternatives to Sonos, but such a discussion really should include what features you’re looking for.  No system is the same, and the right system for you depends on your specific requirements.   “Spotify” is not enough to go on. For example, a handful of echo dots is the right solution for my mother because all she wants to do is play some background music on cheap speakers and occasionally get a weather report.