Volume control

• 1 February 2023
  • 4 replies

Badge +1

With multiple devices, raising the volume with an iPhone raises all devices by the same amount. Id wish for it to be proportional. The use case is that sometimes I use airplay to a speaker that I don’t want to hear and relay that to a room that I do want to hear. Raising the volume in the iPhone turns it up in both rooms which is counterproductive. 

4 replies

In Grouped Rooms, if you tap the Volume control, individual Volume controls will pop up.

Badge +1

Yes that’s the workaround, indeed. 

With multiple devices, raising the volume with an iPhone raises all devices by the same amount. Id wish for it to be proportional. The use case is that sometimes I use airplay to a speaker that I don’t want to hear and relay that to a room that I do want to hear. Raising the volume in the iPhone turns it up in both rooms which is counterproductive. 

I follow your example, but curious what exactly you mean by ‘proportional’ in this context. Say you have a group containing Room A and Room B.   A is set to volume 10 (out of 100) while B is set to 30.  The group volume would be set at 20 (I think).  If you were to raise the group volume  to 30, that currently would place room A at 20 and room B at 40.  What do you want to happen?  What’s the algorithm that should be followed?

Personally, I like the way it is now and wouldn’t want a more complicated group volume control.  I wouldn’t care if you had the option to select group volume control methodology, but I doubt it would get used very much.  And I don’t think there really is a perfect method.   Perceived volume is going to be different for every room/space due to the speakers in the room, location of speakers,  the absorption  and reflections in the room, etc.  I’ll use group volume often, but I usually tweak individual rooms up or down afterwards to get it just right.

Badge +1

I follow your example, but curious what exactly you mean by ‘proportional’ in this context.

Before: room A: 10, room B: 30

After a volume increase, both would be, say, +10%: room A: 11, room B: 33.

Current behaviour is like add the same fixed amount to both, say, +10: room A: 20, room B: 40.

And of course if one room is muted, then adding 10 gets it to 10, yet adding 10% means it would stay at 0.

And why do I want to do this silliness in the first place ? Because only a few of my Sonos speakers support Airplay. (-; So sometimes I Airplay to the speakers that do support it, and want to listen in a room where I have speakers that do not support it.