Skip to main content

Vocals on the Era 100 sound bad, sort of boxy and harsh.  They sound much smoother on my Play:1’s.  I’ve run True Play.  I’ve noticed this with a single Era100, a stereo pair on my desk, and a stereo pair in my living room.  Any ideas?  Does anyone else notice this?

No, the two Era-100’s here sound fine to my ears, that’s both with and without Trueplay. I usually have them stereo paired, but have just recently unpaired them here and tried them standalone and grouped, after I read your post. Anyhow, I have no complaints about vocals in any configuration - they seem crisp and clear, not boxy, or harsh, at all.

I guess we all hear things differently and your ears are perhaps more-suited to the older Play:1’s. I have two older Play:1’s and some Sonos Ones (gen2) and One-SL’s …and the Era-100’s are clearly a better speaker for how I like to hear my chosen music, with its stereo output/angled tweeters. I find the Bass performance is richer and warmer too. They are a great little speaker, but it’s each to their own, I guess.