Skip to main content

Good morning,

As part of our new office building, our retail team are wanting to setup 4 Sonos One SL speakers in the cafe and retail area on the ground floor.

We checked with our AV partner who are installing our Teams meeting rooms to check that they wouldn't interfere and they are happy that they wouldnt, however they did raise concerns as they advised Sonos are designed for domestic use and in a commercial bulding they would cause a “big issue” as they sit on 2.4 GHz (congested wi fi channels) and may cause interference.  They advised that the person installing them will need to understand what access points are going in on what channels and then, ensure that the Sonos are separated. 

Is this correct?  I can see from the specs that the Sonos One SL work on 2.4 or 5 GHz bands and that Sonos are starting to move into the commercial market, so I am slightly sceptical of the advice we have been given.  We are installing Meraki MR36 wifi 6 access points so I think this should help as they are of a high specification.  Also, I presume hard wiring the speakers in would negate any potential problems, but i am not sure if this is an option. 

Any advice or experience in similar settings would be appreciated.

Thank you.

In my opinion any device that is stationary should be wired to the network.

SONOS now offers a commercial setup. While this will not solve any WiFi interference issues, it offers administration, control, and music content licensing options that are appropriate for business use.

The original SONOS products, first introduced in 2005 were 2.4GHz only. Recently introduced products can use 5GHz too. There are a few products, such as MOVE and ROAM that are WiFi only. The ERA 100 and ERA 300 are WiFi only out of the box, but can be wired after the addition of a USB accessory.

A problem with some WiFi installations is that they will change WiFi channels unexpectedly. This is not a major issue for web surfing or email, because a short delay while the device renegotiates its connection is hardly noticed. SONOS WiFi channel use is not as agile as phones. A brief audio mute is not well tolerated by users. A work around is to setup the WiFi so that any wireless SONOS units will use fixed channels.

Another issue you may run into on a commercial WiFi system is client isolation/privacy that prevents WiFi clients from connecting to each other.

Or differing subnets.