Use surround speakers independently

• 4 October 2023
  • 2 replies

Badge

Not the first one to bring this up, but I figured I should voice it and add one more reasoning to it:

1. Sometimes I just want to listen to some ambience music in the living room and don't need the fully-fledged surround system to kick in.

2. Having all speakers on st all times = higher electricity consumption

3. For casual TV watching the surround is overkill

4. One should at least be able to turn off the surrounds without having to see the green blinking lights at all times 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

I think it’s an annoying, but I guess useful, reminder to the user that they have disabled their HT surrounds - a quick way around it of course, is to use LED ‘light dims’ (or just a bit of coloured tape) or even a piece of coloured paper to cover the lights. I do wonder if the LED’s were not showing, if it might lead to further support calls if people were to go onto forget they had disabled their surrounds. My own personal choice would be to leave the light showing, but perhaps not have it flashing, as it’s quite noticeable in a dark room - I would also prefer a darker red colour too, if that’s possible, as I would find that a little more night-friendly.

Badge

I think it’s an annoying, but I guess useful, reminder to the user that they have disabled their HT surrounds - a quick way around it of course, is to use LED ‘light dims’ (or just a bit of coloured tape) or even a piece of coloured paper to cover the lights. I do wonder if the LED’s were not showing, if it might lead to further support calls if people were to go onto forget they had disabled their surrounds. My own personal choice would be to leave the light showing, but perhaps not have it flashing, as it’s quite noticeable in a dark room - I would also prefer a darker red colour too, if that’s possible, as I would find that a little more night-friendly.

I do understand why it does it, however, there's already a feature for turning off the LEDs that the user has to actively turn on, implying intention. They could just extend it and make more granular. Turn on LED for: mute, connectivities issues, etc.