Answered

Updated Trueplay ?

• 22 March 2024
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Hi All - Has anyone noticed any improvement to Trueplay recently?   I haven’t specifically seen any software updates that refers to any changes to the process since the eras came out..

The reason I am asking is that I use both sets  of era 300s as stereo pairs in two locations and there never has been an option to execute the quick method on the software.   The only option is for the detailed process.  I can’t say if there were any the improvements after Trueplay but left the setting as they were.

Recently, I decided  to redo Trueplay.  This time both options came up.. tried both but the detailed option seems to provide a subjective appreciable increase in clarity...I can on surmise that the process may have been tweaked without major fanfare..

icon

Best answer by Corry P 25 March 2024, 13:08

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Audiosymbol 

Thanks for your post!

Yes - approximately a month ago, we added Quick TruePlay support for Era-based stereo pair configurations.

“Advanced TruePlay Tuning” (where the iPhone/iPad’s microphone is used) will always be better as it is based upon readings from the listener’s position rather than the speaker’s.

I hope this helps.

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Thanks Cory.  That makes sense now . Agree .. the advanced setting definitely  provides better sound to me .

I would also say.. I recently placed the Era 300 stereo pair on the dedicated sonos stands.  These stands put the speakers above ear level and toed in a bit.  What a difference that has made to all music types especially the well executed Dolby atmos muisc tracks!

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Audiosymbol 

These stands put the speakers above ear level and toed in a bit.  What a difference that has made to all music types especially the well executed Dolby atmos muisc tracks!

Thanks for the positive feedback - I’m glad to hear you are enjoying your Era 300s!

I feel I must point out, however, that the two Eras should be pointing in the same direction, rather than being toed-in - but, if it sounds better to you the way it is now, just ignore me!

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Interesting point about toeing in Corry … As the distance between the speakers here  are somewhat greater than the distance from the speakers to the listening position , I didn’t think firing them straight ahead would help with the imaging etc… Well it didn’t work with the conventional speakers I had before…

...but as we know, the era 300s are no ordinary speakers in their design and execution 😀 so I’ll setup them up firing straight ahead and report back!

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Fooling with speaker angles can be fun, and fairly easy. Unhook one speaker to simplify things and place the connected speaker in a spot you can move from right to left in front of it. Sit in the center and listen for a bit, them move as far right as you can and listen again. If you were able to move far enough you should hear a difference in the sound as you’d be out of the sound dispersion angle.

Move half way back and listen again, keep moving in and out until you find the furtherest out spot you hear the full frequency range, that is your dispersion angle.

If when placed normally your seating position is outside that dispersion angle turning the speakers in to put you in the sweet spot is likely to help you hear the full frequency range but it may impact imaging. As with everything audio, it comes down to what your ears like.

Unless of course you are an audiophile where shiny trumps sound.  :-)

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

So true Stanley_4. It really is a case of trade offs between soundstaging and imaging … so you have to pick your preferences … overall orchestral scores tend to do better with less toe in but tracks with vocals in my case snaps more into focus with tow-in in place.

My musical preferences in this setup toe-in appear more preferable overall.

Good experiment indeed. 

Userlevel 7

Hi @Audiosymbol 

Thanks for your post!

Yes - approximately a month ago, we added Quick TruePlay support for Era-based stereo pair configurations.

“Advanced TruePlay Tuning” (where the iPhone/iPad’s microphone is used) will always be better as it is based upon readings from the listener’s position rather than the speaker’s.

I hope this helps.

In that case, the support page needs updated:

https://support.sonos.com/en-gb/article/tune-your-era-100-or-era-300-with-trueplay

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Mr. T 

Well spotted - I’ll flag that with the web team. Thanks!