Answered

Update Issue & Speaker 'dropping off system'

• 3 March 2023
  • 4 replies

V 14.20

OS S2

Play 3 & Play 1

iMac

I have the above system and to be honest use the system relatively lightly.

First issue I’ve had of late is since a period in January when I was away and iMac not switched on I came home and found that the Play 1 speaker had disappeared from my system. I unplugged the speaker (from power) and after a minute or so it reappeared on my system. It has since done this at least three times since then - latest being today 3/3/23. Also as a result of this the ‘Music in my Queue also disappears and needs replacing. No big deal, but a bind!

Second issue is over last few days I’ve been prompted to do an Update. I click the relevant prompts, I then get asked for my Sonos p’word, I’m then told that ‘an unexpected error has occurred, please try again - I keep trying and get the same response. Can anybody assist re these issues please?

I carry out these ops on the IMac, I have the App on my mobile but dont use it.

Many thanks

Keith

icon

Best answer by UKMedia 3 March 2023, 14:28

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

You may want to read my article: Tips & Tricks - Resolving random issues impacting Sonos devices.. | Sonos Community

Thanks very much. I know you’ve tried to make it as an easy to read reply, but sadly I’m not as IT savvy as you. You mention about Rebooting the router first, but then the other items. I can understand the Router Reboot, but then do I have to physically reboot Play1, then Play 3 (i.e. unplug them from Power , wait 30 secs and plug them back in?). I am assuming the answer to that is yes?

Your reply talks about wired Network  devices and Switches - can you elaborate please- the only item wired into my Router (as far as I know ) is an Ethernet cable from my router to the back of my iMac - this I’m told helps with Download speed. What would be the ‘switches’ you talk about please?

With regard to All Other Wi-Fi devices, I’m assuming you mean Phones; iPad, Kindles, TV etc. ? I’ve looked at my Phone & iPad and cannot see an IP address - is that right?

On my Mac the IP Address is 192.168.1.174 & the Router has an IP of 192.168.1.254. I saw that somebody requested ‘How to Reserve IP Addresses’? My router is supplied by British Telecom and is a ‘Wireless Hub’. Would that help me to do what you do and ‘Reserve….”?

Finally - would doing the above allow the Update to go through ok?

sorry to come back, but thanks in advance for any assistance you can give.

Keith

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hi Keith.  Asking questions and seeking support is exactly what the forum is for, so no need to apologise. 😀

The article is trying to explain that this issue isn’t a Sonos issue per se but a home network one.

If you don’t have any other wired connections apart from your Mac, then please ignore the additional steps with regards to switches etc.  With regard to your devices connected via Wi-Fi, you can either turn Wi-Fi off within the device settings page or power the device off and then back on again, which ever you find easier.

The confusing thing with this issue is that it’s virtually impossible to detect on a single device.  If you have a very small number of devices connected it may be only worth just powering off the devices and then back on again.

If the problem persists after doing this, I suggest that you connect your Play 3 into your router with a spare network cable, if you have one, and try the update again.  These are the two most likely solutions to your issue.

If you have any further questions, please come back and ask for more help.

Many thanks for that. In view of what you say re single devices, I’ll give the Play 3 suggestion a go and see what happens.

Thanks again fior your support

Keith