Skip to main content

I really do despair. This morning I thought I would try out the SONOS to see what its current state is. BAD is my feedback. I switched on the stereo pair of PLAY:1’s that I have. All good, Music started playing. Music stopped, both lights had turned green. Eventually, after multiple attempts, I managed to allegedly update the speakers. BUT, the indicators are still green, the SONOS app tells me the speakers are up to date, the app thinks its playing but their is no sound coming from the speakers. 

Tried connecting the two speakers to my router via ethernet cable to see if that would fix the issue. It didnt. Sonos can see the stereo pair, but just wont play music through them. Deleted the stereo pair and reconnected. Did play sound through the added speaker. 

I cant seem to update the original post… I have spent 3 hours trying different combinations of things… even rebooted my router and used a different phone running a different version of android. I do not seem to be able to add 2 x PLAY:1, despite doing a factory reset and then trying to go into SONOS to add the devices. It cant find my SONOS system, despite the fact that two other speakers(also PLAY:1) are connected just fine and went through the update without any issues. I have tried hard-wiring using an ethernet cable.. no joy. I give up!

A final update. I persevered and managed to get my 2 x PLAY ONE’s and 2 x PLAY:1’s working in my conservatory. I moved the two PLAY:1’s into the kitchen and neither work. Both are displaying green lights. I watched the SONOS app move between not finding any products, to finding both stereo pairs, the dropping the 2 x PLAY:1’s. I think this app and these products are the very definition of UNSTABLE and will not be wasting any more time (or money) on SONOS products. 

Moderator edit: merged multiple posts

Hi @TheDirger 

Thanks for your post!

Sorry to hear of the issues you’ve been having with your Sonos system.

A green light on a speaker means that it is muted - when a speaker is in this state, you will not hear anything from it.

If you are unable to either turn up the volume on the speaker, or keep it turned up, then the speakers will be keeping details in their logs as to where these volume down or mute commands are coming from - I recommend you get in touch with our technical support team who have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and what it reports.

At a guess, you might have a smartphone with a stuck volume button on the side (possibly due to an ill-fitted case?)  - while the Sonos app is open, this would result in the volume minimising when that particular room is selected in the Sonos app.

If, however, the speakers are somehow deciding to do this of their own accord, then a reboot of the speaker may help.

Regarding the issues reported in the third section of your post, this sounds a lot like local network conditions - the support team will hopefully be able to assist there too.

I hope this helps.

Thankyou. I seem to have fixed the issues now.