Answered

Unable to connect to SONOS every time I open app

• 11 January 2023
  • 7 replies

I have 3 x SONOS Play 1. I’d gone off SONOS for about 18 months and not used it as I found it too glitchy and didn’t like that you couldn’t play many Podcasts through it.

I was delighted when I realised it has been integrated with Audible and BBC Sounds so I decided to set it back up again. As I have recently moved I did a factory reset on all the Play 1s so I could do a fresh set up on a new router etc.

After what seemed like an age and a real hassle I managed to get it set up on my and my wife’s phone with both our Audible, BBC and Spotify accounts, success……

However, when I came to use it the net day I opened the app and got an “unable to connect to Sonos. Let’s fix it” message. After following the instructions, no I haven’t changed my network settings, un-plugging all the SONOS and my router it fails to get back on the system.

I’ve re-tried setting it up again both with and without doing a factory reset, it seems like each time I get it set up then re-open the app I get the same message. 

This is exactly one of the reasons I stopped using it, it is so glitchy. Is it because I have a Play 1 and it is old? Or, is SONOS just very glitchy and frustrating? The experience is so bad I can’t justify buying the newer models because, to be honest it’s always been a bit glitchy even when it was new.

It’s so frustrating because when it works it is great, but it only works about 30% of the time.

Any help / advice before I throw them away (it seems unfair to re-sell them on eBay knowing they are so bad!)

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 11 January 2023, 15:03

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

What wifi system are you using? Is it a mesh system? Is it locked to a single channel or does it “auto” change? Are your 2.4ghz and 5Ghz channels named the same?
All of these factors can affect how well Sonos devices work. Because you have a speaker capable of (even though your profile says you only have  1 device) multi-speaker synchronised play, the network demands are much greater than for, say, a hub controlling lights or heating. 

Thanks for commenting.

I’m just using a standard BT Homehub router.

All your points are valid and something I need to check. However, this is part of the problem, SONOS is not the plug and play system it claims to be if all these can cause potential issues. Nowhere on the SONOS website or set up videos does it say anything about router config or set up. 

Thanks for commenting.

I’m just using a standard BT Homehub router.

All your points are valid and something I need to check. However, this is part of the problem, SONOS is not the plug and play system it claims to be if all these can cause potential issues. Nowhere on the SONOS website or set up videos does it say anything about router config or set up. 

Many BT Routers have issues with SSDP ‘multicast device discovery’ between their wired and wireless network segments. This is documented online. - You can test this - run ALL on your routers 2.4Ghz WiFi band only by switching off the 5Ghz band temporarily and just see if the problems you’re having go away.

If they do, then check with BT for any firmware updates for the router. If no updates are available, you may find you will have more success by running all your products in SonosNet mode (that entails wiring one Sonos device to your router and setting it one metre away from the router/other wireless devices)

Also set the SonosNet channel to one thats not in use by your router. If you do take-up the SonosNet option and you have no Sonos portable products, then you are best to also remove your routers WiFi credentials from your Sonos App/speakers. HTH.

I am unable to connect to SONOS every time I open app as well and it doesn’t matter where I am.  I could be on my home network or anywhere.  How can this app continually fail to find my registered equipment?  I need a way to bypass the Sonos App altogether and I need find another way to access and enjoy my equipment.

Not really much information here to allow us to provide help, although you should only be able to connect to your Sonos system when your controller device is on the same network. 

Have you tried wiring one speaker to your router with an Ethernet cable, and ensuring your controller device is connected to that same network, and not on some other network? Have you tried to call Sonos Support directly to discuss it?

When you speak directly to the phone folks, they have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and network.

Thanks Bruce.  I forgot to mention that all of my Sonos equipment is always connected through the same router in my RV.  That setup never changes.  I haven’t tried wiring a speaker to my router yet.  As soon as I walk away and leave it for a few minutes it suddenly starts working through the very system it just told me it couldn’t find.  It’s a little frustrating.  I may have to call support. 

Sounds like potential duplicate IP addresses, but it could be something else, too. At the least, try powering down all Sonos devices, then reboot that router. Wait until the router comes up before powering on the Sonos devices. Wouldn’t hurt to try wiring one device to the router, just on the offhand chance there’s some wifi interference due to the layout of the electronics in the RV. I know I had to be fairly careful when setting up my father’s RV, due to some odd wiring that he had in his American Eagle that would occasionally interfere, but that was a few years ago, things may be different these days.

But I’d definitely recommend that you submit a system diagnostic within 10 minutes of experiencing this problem, and call Sonos Support to discuss it.

There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution. At the least, it’s likely they could hone in on why you’re having so much difficulty. 

When you speak directly to the phone folks, they have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and network.