Answered

Unable to connect my existing speakers to new Orbi Pro router set as Access Point

• 4 September 2023
  • 14 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge

I got a new Orbi Pro mesh Netgear router but I’m unable to connect my Sonos to it wirelessly. 

The Orbi is set as an access point because of my firewalla firewall.   I have one 5 and three 1s. 

The five is connected to my Orbi directly with CAT 5 cable.   I cannot, cannot get the 1s to connect wirelessly. 

Please advise. 

Thank you!  Stu

icon

Best answer by ratty 4 September 2023, 15:47

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

14 replies

Have you rebooted the ONE’s? Refrain from Factory Resetting any if the SONOS units without further consult.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Do you mean unplugged?  If not, how do I reset?

Userlevel 2
Badge

i rebooted but still cannot connect.   They chime as they should upon reboot. 

I’m using an Ipone 14 pro if that might be the issue. 

Just cannot connect to speakers unless they are hard wired to the router. 

You haven’t disabled the ‘WiFi’ on the wired Five have you? It’s needed to connect the wireless Ones.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Wifi is enabled on my 5.

Does the Five show “WM:0” in Settings>System>About? 

Userlevel 2
Badge

Yes, VM:0

The Ones ought to connect directly to the Five over SonosNet assuming they’re within range. The Five should be at least 50cm/18” from the Orbi, ideally more. Which channels are SonosNet and the Orbi using? 

Userlevel 2
Badge

Sonosnet is on Channel 1

My Orbi wireless is set to auto (1)

If you wire a One in place of the Five what happens? Do the other Ones and the Five connect wirelessly?

You said that it all worked when everything was wired, so I’m assuming you haven’t factory reset anything since... 

Incidentally, is it really a Five or is it actually a Play:5 Gen2?

Userlevel 2
Badge

Everything worked with my old router.   I’ve always had the 5 wired and the three 1s wireless. 

A 1 will play if it is the only one connected via an ethernet cable.  Two speakers will not play at the same time if they are both hard wired.   I cannot connect the others via wifi if the 1 or the 5 is connected ethernet.  I tried factory resets (green blinking light) on two of my 1s. 

Do you have reason to believe the addition of a Boost would fix my issue? 

That’s a Play:5 Gen2. Their wireless card has been known to fail.

With the speaker wired you’d need to submit a system diagnostic then call Sonos Support with the diagnostic reference number to hand. They can check.

As for two speakers not working together when both are wired, something else must be going on but it’s not obvious what. Mention it when you contact Support.

===

EDIT: I’ve just realised you have Orbi Pro, not Orbi. As a business solution it could well have configuration you’d need to tweak for Sonos to work, such as to permit client devices to intercommunicate on the LAN and/or allow multicast. I suggest you attend to this before pursuing the above.

Userlevel 2
Badge

I will look into the router configuration (to the best of my ability). 

How on earth do I connect with Sonos tech support.  I started this whole thing by sending them a diagnositc report and have not heard back. 

Might a Boost help or is it too early to know. 

Submitting a system diagnostic simply uploads the data to a server somewhere. You always need to follow up with Support (chat, phone, email, etc) and give them the diagnostic reference so they can fish the data out and look at it.

If your other speakers won’t connect wirelessly when a sensible distance from the wired speaker then a Boost won’t help. A Boost is basically the same as a speaker but without the audio bits.