Skip to main content

I purchased a new Sonos Ray for my son. We hooked that up to his Samsung TV in a snap using an ethernet cable to his router and the included optical cable to his Samsung. The problem we now have is that my older Play 1s (x2) that I gave to him won’t connect. We can get blinking green lights on both but, they continually fail to connect.

Prior to giving him the Play 1s, I “removed” them from the room they had been in and then I reset them using the Play/Pause and +Volume button procedure at my house.  At his place, everything seemed good-to-go… until we tried adding them into his newly created  Sonos system/network (he never had a Sonos product until now). It would say “Connected” but then kept trying to connect and then fail. After several attempts, we unplugged them.

My questions: Could the Play 1s still be linked to my system/account?  Do we need to connect the Play 1s via ethernet cables? (It’s my understanding that the Ray will shoot the sound to the Play 1s).  Do I need to hold down the Play/Pause and +Volume button when adding the Play 1s?  Should I plug one in at a time? At one point it prompted us to add them as Surrounds. We eventually wanted “Stereo Pair” but, never got to that point.

Thanks for any advice you might have.

Try connecting the Play:1s to the router with an ethernet cable and then performing the set up process for each Play:1. After set up has been successfully completed, disconnect the ethernet cable and add the Play:1s as surrounds to the Ray by following these steps:

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/add-surround-speakers-to-a-sonos-home-theater

Thanks very much for your quick reply. Admittedly, it was a bit frustrating but, these Play 1s are older and, I can see how integration might be an issue. My son is pretty excited to get improved sound from his TV though so, he’s driven to get it solved.

He’s going to eventually create a Stereo Pair due to not having placement options for opting for the Surround option.

Thanks again…

Brad

Update: Thanks again, GuitarSuperstar.  My son followed your advice and grabbed a couple of Cat 5 Ethernet cables and connected the Play 1s to his router. Both Play 1s connected perfectly.

He may leave them hardwired as-is.  We plan to Create a Stereo Pair as the next step.

Thanks again…

Brad