Answered

Turn off SONOS-Axxxxxxxx Wi-Fi SSID

• 28 February 2023
  • 7 replies

Hi, I’m new to this community. Hoping someone can help me. My Beam and One SL speakers are broadcasting a SSID publicly as an open Wi-Fi network. SSID looks something like this to “SONOS-AxEINDUYIndk+ltN=”. Currently two SSIDs are showing each begins with SONOS- and ends with = character. 

How can I disable these SSIDs from being broadcast as I am concerned about security.

NB: My products are connected to my network via WiFi.

icon

Best answer by Corry P 28 February 2023, 15:26

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Usually the Sonos SSID doesn’t show up on WiFi systems, what are you using to see it?

It’s showing up on my phone and on my computer as an open WiFi network available for anyone to join. See screenshot below. 

Any ideas why?

This looks like a temporary SSID that Sonos uses for setup. Do you have any Sonos devices wired to your network?

Have you tried powering the speakers off for a couple of minutes?

Hi John B

I do not have any devices hardwired (via Ethernet) to my network. And yes, I did power all the speakers off. I even did a factory reset and set everything up again, which only resulted in the second SSID appearing. So does seem as though the speakers are creating a ‘network’ and broadcasting, but I can’t find a way to make them stop broadcasting once I’ve set them up. 

Do you think this could be related to the fact that I do not have any speakers hardwired into my network?

appreciate your help. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @ListenRelax 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

A couple of answers for you - no, this should not be happening, and no, this is not related to you being on WiFi or ethernet.

Sonos does broadcast WiFi for the initial setup of your devices, though this is only done to connect your phone/tablet in order to teach your Sonos system your WiFi password, and it should turn off once this process has completed. If setup does not complete, the broadcast should turn off after 30 minutes.

First, to verify that it is indeed your system that’s doing this and you’re not seeing the results of a neighbour trying to set up their own system, please unplug all your Sonos devices and refresh the WiFi list on your device. I’m asking you to check this because you mentioned that the broadcast remained after factory resetting your system (don’t do this again, please), so it would make sense for another to show up while setting up the reset devices again. Also, after a reset, the first broadcast should not have remained.

If you verify it is one of your devices doing this, please have each one in turn being the only device powered on until you can determine which device is broadcasting. Then, please submit a support diagnostic and reply here with the number given, and the last 3 digits of the serial number of the device responsible. Thank you.

Hi @Corry P ,

First of all thank you!

Your directions were very clear and seem to be spot on. I systematically isolated each one of my speakers and verified whether a SSID was being broadcast and it was (only one). I finally disconnected (powered down) all speakers in my entire system and low and behold the SSID was still being broadcast, which almost certainly confirms your suspicions that the culprit is a neighbor’s device which is still in set up mode. Interestingly, my Sonos app on my phone was asking me whether I wanted to set up a Black Sonos Beam, which serves as further validation, since my Beam is white and the app with each speaker set up correctly identifies the product and color.

Suffice to say, I think I am all set and can consider this matter resolved. The unidentified SSID is still being broadcast but from somewhere else so I hope my neighbor (whoever it is) can manage to complete their set up and start enjoying the product. 

Once again thanks for help!

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @ListenRelax 

Fantastic! I really wasn’t sure where to go from there, so I’m glad it turned out to be as easy as that!

Thanks for updating the thread!