Skip to main content
Question

Trying to set up a new Symfonisk to an existing network, and it won't finalize the connection. Any ideas or suggestions?

Just got a new Symfonisk and trying to connect it to my system. Currently have a Playbar + Sub set up in a TV room and a Five in the the living room. 

Have been going through the new app to set up the Symfonisk and have tried almost everything. Have had it do the chimes, though won’t finalize. Have typed the device number after that, which always fails. Have connected to the router via Ethernet directly, using a new connection and even using the ethernet cable I have set up with the Playbar. All fails. 

I’m ready to smash this thing out of frustration and the small satisfaction I may get. This is truly horrible, and Sonos Support gives me a bot that only repeats itself with no actual solutions/suggestions and a phone number that has an 80minute wait. 

Really hoping someone has a suggestion or maybe has gone through similar and had success. 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

77 replies

Userlevel 1

I’m having the exact same issue and I’ve been on hold with support for going on 25 minutes and I called at 9:00am EST when their lines opened. I will be very surprised if someone actually talks to me. I bought this speaker a week ago and still can’t use it. This is some of the worst customer service I have ever experienced. 

Userlevel 3
Badge

Still no luck on my end either. Have gone through all shared solutions, though nothing new. Reset, Ethernet, adjusting my routers settings for static IP (though not sure if that will help, just something I saw in a similar post here). Sonos software is inexcusable for this.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Just got a new Symfonisk and trying to connect it to my system. Currently have a Playbar + Sub set up in a TV room and a Five in the the living room. 

Have been going through the new app to set up the Symfonisk and have tried almost everything. Have had it do the chimes, though won’t finalize. Have typed the device number after that, which always fails. Have connected to the router via Ethernet directly, using a new connection and even using the ethernet cable I have set up with the Playbar. All fails. 

I’m ready to smash this thing out of frustration and the small satisfaction I may get. This is truly horrible, and Sonos Support gives me a bot that only repeats itself with no actual solutions/suggestions and a phone number that has an 80minute wait. 

Really hoping someone has a suggestion or maybe has gone through similar and had success. 

I updated the firmware the other day and one of my Symfonisk lamps disappeared. I turned that one off at the wall, waited 10 secs, turned it back on and waited. It flashed and flashed for ages. But after a good few minutes it connected. No idea why it disappeared and then reconnected (after a long wait) but it did.

So if you have been through the connection process, I wonder if an off-and-on again, and then a patient wait for ten mins, might provide its own solution…?

Userlevel 3
Badge

Haven’t been able connect yet. I get all the way through the process, audio… chimes.. Finalizing… then it fails every time. Then try the manual ‘adding’ of the device code found on bottom, but also receives an error. Trying with an ethernet cable, same issues as that seemed to add no benefit. 

I’ve left it unplugged for the past 2 days, and saw an app update this morning, so another quick try and same thing. 

Userlevel 1

I just got off the phone with support. Was on hold for almost 50 minutes and 45 minutes of troubleshooting later they could not provide a solution, and they would not admit that this was a problem with the product or the new app. I tried every possible solution including an ethernet connection, and they said it was likely that my router or ethernet cable was the issue. When I told them I was able to connect an older Sonos speaker just fine but the Symfonisk won’t set up in the app, they didn’t have an explanation for how that is possible. It sounds like they’re ignoring this issue and won’t take any responsibility for it. I felt like I was talking to someone who was told to deny responsibility no matter what since they refused to say this was an issue with the device or from their new app when it’s extremely likely one of those is the issue here.

Userlevel 3
Badge

This doesn’t give me much hope, but about what I would expect from this at this point. Did they by chance highlight what about the router would be the issue? Im curious as I have a lot of control over mine and just need to see what I would need to focus on.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

I think we are all in the same boat until they fix the app 😐

Userlevel 2

I think we are all in the same boat until they fix the app 😐

Yep! Just been on to support myself and they couldn’t help at all. I’ve tried EVERYTHING I can think of at this point.

What an utter farce.

I really think IKEA should at least come out at this point and say they’re not selling the Symfonisk speakers to consumers until this has been resolved by Sonos.

Userlevel 2

Haven’t been able connect yet. I get all the way through the process, audio… chimes.. Finalizing… then it fails every time. Then try the manual ‘adding’ of the device code found on bottom, but also receives an error. Trying with an ethernet cable, same issues as that seemed to add no benefit. 

I’ve left it unplugged for the past 2 days, and saw an app update this morning, so another quick try and same thing. 

Sounds like you’re exactly in the same boat as I am, which although frustrating is at least heartening to know that others share this problem at the moment.

Userlevel 3
Badge

Yes, as its unfortunately Ikea who will have to give the refund.

Userlevel 1

Sounds like you’re exactly in the same boat as I am, which although frustrating is at least heartening to know that others share this problem at the moment.

I am in the same exact boat as you guys right now. I actually purchased an Ikea Symfonisk Table Lamp a few weeks ago before the update to try it out, loved it, so I went back and bought a 2nd one just after the app update - it won’t connect despite every troubleshooting method mentioned. So I have two identicial table lamp speakers, one will connect and one will not. It’s clearly an issue with the app, unless we all just coincidentally have faulty speakers. Wildly frustrating. 

Just tried to connect my new symfonisk - no luck but noticed on my iPhone the password returned for the Sonos network was blank; on my iPad it gave a password but still no luck after finding the new speaker.

Having the exact same problem right now. Bought two of them and had no problem connecting my Beam and Move 2 but cannot for the life of me connect these Symfonisk lamps!! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Why not roll back to the previous 'old' app? 

Userlevel 3
Badge

I’ve tried, and checked on other devices with the prior app. For me, the app returns an error that forces you to update before you can connect a new device.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Even to an amateur detective, there is sufficient evidence to confirm that a 'crime' has been committed here 😝

A 'No comment' response by a suspect is highly suggestive of their likely guilt. 

I think continuing to complain to low-status Sonos customer care is pointless.  The whole Sonos enterprise appears to have transformed itself into a CULT and now Inhabits a different reality than its users. 

(Try, if possible, to install the device using the PC desktop programs (Windows & Mac) 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

I’ve tried, and checked on other devices with the prior app. For me, the app returns an error that forces you to update before you can connect a new device.

Try the desktop apps. 

Try the desktop apps. 

I’ve just downloaded the Mac app but have realised that it doesn’t seem like you can add devices using anything but the iOS or Android apps. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Try the desktop apps. 

I’ve just downloaded the Mac app but have realised that it doesn’t seem like you can add devices using anything but the iOS or Android apps. 

Out of ideas.  

Welcome to 'Baffled in Sonosland' 

What a massive Fghk Up 😝😜😛

Exactly same

Userlevel 1

I am in the same exact boat as you guys right now. I actually purchased an Ikea Symfonisk Table Lamp a few weeks ago before the update to try it out, loved it, so I went back and bought a 2nd one just after the app update - it won’t connect despite every troubleshooting method mentioned. So I have two identicial table lamp speakers, one will connect and one will not. It’s clearly an issue with the app, unless we all just coincidentally have faulty speakers. Wildly frustrating. 

UPDATE: I went back to IKEA and exchanged the symfonisk table lamp that was not connecting. Took the new one home and tried to connect - SAME ERRORS. So the issue is now isolated to the app update. I have one lamp connected to my system prior to the app update working fine, and now two separate table lamps that won’t connect after the app update. Now I just need to wait 85 minutes on hold to tell the Sonos tech support…

Userlevel 3
Badge

I keep checking the app updates to see if a new version is out. Hoping it comes soon, and of course, will state here if I see it.

Userlevel 1

Same problem. I’ve gone through all unplugs, reboots, clear cache, update and nothing worked. Was on a chat for over an hour yesterday, and they said I’d have to call in to continue the support. I guess I’ll call in, but honestly, I’d be surprised if they can help.

My other big grip is using my Music Library. For a while it would appear and disappear, but now it appears to be completely gone.

I really hope the app update fixes all of this.

Userlevel 2

Same problem. I’ve gone through all unplugs, reboots, clear cache, update and nothing worked. Was on a chat for over an hour yesterday, and they said I’d have to call in to continue the support. I guess I’ll call in, but honestly, I’d be surprised if they can help.

My other big grip is using my Music Library. For a while it would appear and disappear, but now it appears to be completely gone.

I really hope the app update fixes all of this.

Yeah I honestly think at this point it’s a case of just waiting, as frustrating as it is. There’s so many of us in the same boat who haven’t managed to find a solution… It’s unbelievable that Sonos have essentially made a whole bunch of their products redundant for its consumers.

On Reddit someone said they’d had success with pressing Volume Up and the power button when prompted (rather than just pressing the power button) but I’ve not found this to work for me.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Has anyone called Ikea to see what they have to say?