Skip to main content

So the one thing that was working, Trueplay, has now been broken.  

There is now a quick option, which was very quick and did nothing IMHO.  The standard option is there but is broken.

After having to perform Trueplay again I no longer have access to EQ or Loudness settings. Well the setting can be changed but it has absolutely no effect on the sound. Also the Sub phase option is visible, that normally goes when Trueplay is active. Turning off Trueplay changes the sound but the EQ still does not work.

My Sub is stuck on 16.3.1 which may be the issue but no amount of resetting has sorted this.  I also had Auto updates turned off, but that was ignored!

So another evening where all I wanted to do was relax to music has been wrecked by a useless update, and again no release notes to see what this was supposed to fix, or break.

Just updated to 16.3.3 do not see any of your issues on my system. Even the update did complete without error message 

Thanks. Just tried an app reinstall and about to try the system again. Fingers crossed. 

@bockersjv 

Did you try to connect sub mini via lan? Maybe that helps getting the 16.3.3 update for it. 

FYI: When I updated to 16.3.3 all of my speakers including Sub Minis updated OK, but my Sub Gen 2 was left at 16.3.1.
When I then went and checked for updates again it said a “Sub Update” was available which then updated my Sub Gen2 to 16.3.3.
So in my case the Sub Gen2 update was done separately to the rest of my speakers.
Ross.

Yes, however it will be done, all devices have to be on same software version to work properly. 

Yes, the SUb Geb2 took a time and all is now working thanks.  I did a full reboot of my Mesh network too.  Had to do similar in the days when I was running powerplugs.  The (re)learning from this is don’t try using your system right after an update as it can take time to proliferate and in that time you get some “odd” behaviors.

….HOWEVER…

There have been some changes made to Trueplay.  There is now a quick trueplay option, when did that appear.  Also you can now change the Sub phasing, which was removed if you had successfully performed Trueplay and it was turned on.

I have the same experience after updating 16.3.3 and found that setting customization is not working and the Sub gen3 sounds drop and can’t be adjusted .. I have talk (chat) to Sonos support staff yesterday and he says he’ll report this to the engineer team to look into it 

EQ does not work on my Sonos Five after doing Trueplay and trying to increase the bass there is no change nor in the loudness, my version is also 16.3.3 I confirm that there are problems with the EQ option.

The Quick Trueplay uses a player’s built-in microphones. In my opinion the Quick Trueplay results are not as thorough as the results available using an iPhone/iPad, Quick Trueplay is an option available to Android users.  My experience with self tuning of the portable speakers has been good.

Since Trueplay includes the SUB, if present, Trueplay will determine the correct phase. If the operator changes the phase, the TruePlay adjustment will no longer be valid.

Thanks Buzz.  I have been through the release notes and it looks like “Improved Trueplay” was introduced in June.

It is the first time I have seen the Quick option alongside the standard method on my iPhone.  Also previously once Trueplay was enabled the Phase control was removed, which is good.  Odd that it is now not.

Agree the Auto Trueplay works well on the Moves and Roams.

I can confirm that quick trueplay for the Era speakers already was there before 16.3.3 firmware (definitely on iOS app and I think also on Android app).

Im still on 16.3.1 because the update isn’t available here yet. Quick trueplay works well. But as said iOS device trueplay works better. 
Sub phase switching option there is available too with trueplay activated, what imo doesn’t make sense as tp should set the better option automatically. So just can say that isn’t a change of 16.3.3. 

My system has sounded poor since the updates to Trueplay---same system, same room, same room walk to do Trueplay tuning. My ARC highs and mids sound awful.  I’ve retuned 4 x--nothing really fixed.

Hopefully a major update to end all this will happen --beta tested properly in real world settings with real people  ---