Skip to main content
Answered

Sub mini not connecting since update

I haven't been able to connect to my sub mini since the latest app update and have tried factory resetting/reinstalling numerous times.

The app recognises there's a sub but won't do the final part of connecting it to WiFi. 

I'm guessing I won't be the only one experiencing this problem.. 

135 replies

Everyone is having this issue. That’s why it’s taking 100+ minutes of hold time. They are buried in tech support calls. Here is a thought: POST IT EVERYWHERE DO WE ALL KNOW YOU ARE WORKING ON IT!!! 

I wrote to the CEO to let him know that the product has gone downhill. They are now riding on their name, which is exactly what Bose did when the quality of Bose collapsed.

Good luck with your tech-support calls, to a guy in India, who caused himself Peter, which we all know is not his real name… To tell you to unplug it and plug it back in delete your app and reinstall it… Only to find out that it’s a critical app issue and they have no answer for it right now.

I just bought the Sub Mini off Amazon and just filed for a return after messing with this for three days.  I’ll check back on the boards to see when they fix the issue and maybe I will buy it again. Now that I’m 12 speakers deep into Sonos, there is no going back I guess. But I’m willing to sell it all and go to another company. Even the Chinese companies try harder than Sonos does. 

Sorry.  Tried to delete.

Userlevel 1
Badge

After talking to tech support I was able to register the Sub mini. I log out of the app, then logged back in, tap on the fix now button and it worked, I now have registered sub mini. The issue still is that I am not able to add the Sub mini to my room.

Got this screenshot from another thread and it seems to work after almost 10 trials. I lost connection to my Beam gen 2 and sub mini but was able to connect them through this “transfer of ownership” process. While they are now connected, I noticed there are still major issues with streaming services on the new app, I cannot still seamlessly play music on the speakers but at least, they are now connected. Give it a try if you still have this issue.

Guys it worked for me but only by connecting by ethernet to a router. It just so happens the router is in a corner by the sofa where the mini subwoofer can sit perfectly.

So I've left it there. But no idea what's up with WiFi collection!

Note I connected an era speaker same time. No issue.

Badge

Same here. Brand new sub gen 3 won’t connect. 

Tried pretty much everything, spent hours waiting for support and chatting with support. 

Long story short: known issue. Will be fixed in an update/patch. I just don’t understand that, if it’s a “known” issue, why bother people trying a million things knowing it won’t work. 

IMHO the root cause is unknown at this moment. But that’s speculation.

I will return my sub tomorrow and (maybe) buy another one once the issue is fixed. Too expensive and no use in having it doing nothing but consuming it’s warranty and risking damage. 

I really feel sorry for the guys of support at this moment. If this situation does not get better soon, Sonos will loose a bunch of their support engineers, spent efforts and money to replace them and loose them again. Vicious circle leading to decrease of support quality … not exactly what Sonos can use at this moment. 

Anyway, hope they’ll get things sorted out soon. Arc and era’s are doing a great job. I’m (partially) disappointed and cautiously hopeful at the same time. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

Good news! There’s an update for the app on App store, from the app I updated the system and after update everything works fine!

I’m all updated still no go registering sub mini. Any point getting into help from Sonos . Just wait? Bit of a dead loss so far 

Userlevel 1
Badge

I’m all updated still no go registering sub mini. Any point getting into help from Sonos . Just wait? Bit of a dead loss so far 

Try to logout from app and then log back in, it worked for me yesterday.

Many thanks. No luck though. It hasn’t recognised the pin so although I can see it in the system it has not registered. itself .

Userlevel 1
Badge

For PIN you need to tap on top of the sub in the center when asked by the app. Make sure you have NFC turned on.

Got there but still no joy.

Same here with my play1. Did a factory reset but nothing helps

Userlevel 1
Badge

Got there but still no joy.

I would contact support then, I was with them yesterday over chat and it was helpful.

Badge

Thanks for notifying. Unfortunately no luck. Updated the app, but still the same. App detects sub, but crashes when trying to add it.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Thanks for notifying. Unfortunately no luck. Updated the app, but still the same. App detects sub, but crashes when trying to add it.

Did you also update the system?

Badge

Already did so today. Just checked again to be sure, but no updates available. 

I have just received a mini sub. I cannot connect to my beam 2gen, nightmare. Updated this that and the other. Need help now

Badge

I have just received a mini sub. I cannot connect to my beam 2gen, nightmare. Updated this that and the other. Need help now

Some things you might check:

• connect your beam with ethernet cable
  • make sure wifi is activated on the beam
  • add beam and sub to tv-room
  • check if sub is in sonos network. if not, I’m afraid you’ll have to remove it and add it back to your system as you can’t change the wifi network in the app.

I’m not an expert, so the above might not help you at all. Let’s agree that it’s the good intention that counts. ;-)

Good luck!

Done all of that apart from ethenet which will be another nightmare in it's self.. Will be returning it iat this rate

I had the same problem, but found a solution. 

Here are my steps (IOS):

1. Delete the app, and reinstall it on you iPhone
  2. Connect to your existing Sonos system in the setup when the app opens for the first time
  3. Set your Sub Mini to parring (white/white green blinking light)
  4. Connect the Sum Mini

This way I managed to connect the Sub without updating the firmware. 

Connecting the Sum to the Beam gave one error, but succeeded when trying again. 

I hope this can help you. All the best and good luck!

Sonos has having a bug in the new update which is causing the problem with the sub mini.

It could taken a couple of days,  weeks to sort things out.

We have to wait untill they have solved the problem. 

In the meanwhile we have to wait.

It is what it is.....

I’m tempted to get my money back. Maybe I’ll wait a few days . Weeks not!

Badge

I’m tempted to get my money back. Maybe I’ll wait a few days . Weeks not!

I returned my sub gen 3 yesterday. No use in having a useless, expensive device just sitting there consuming its warranty and risking whatever kind of damage for whatever reason.

Besides that, there are way too many issues and lacking basic functionalities in the app, making me believe it’ll take weeks to months of waiting before my issue is fixed. 

I’ll leave it over the weekend. You never know .