Answered

Sub Mini

• 17 November 2023
  • 18 replies

Hello

Have hit a problem. Last nights update has knocked off my Sub Mini. Cannot get the sub to be recognised. Done a reset, still not playing ball. Gone  nuclear with a factory reset, it will go ok until I  try to allocate the sub to a room. Has anyone have any ideas?

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 17 November 2023, 22:14

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

18 replies

Check again to see if there are any Sonos updates outstanding, maybe temporarily wire the sub-mini when trying to add it to the chosen Sonos room and then see what happens when you later uncable it.

Also ensure that the Sonos device you’re adding it to has its WiFi adapter enabled.

If the issue persists then  it maybe best to submit a Sonos system diagnostic report from within the Sonos App, note it’s reference and then contact/chat with Sonos Support Staff via this LINK and see what the Staff can perhaps suggest to resolve the matter.

Thanks Ken

I give it a go. The update was successful with all my speakers and sound bar, but the sub failed to complete the update?

Yes give the update another try - and once the Sub updates, then hopefully all will be fine.👍

Ken

Wire the sub to router to finish off the update. But the message, I’ll keep on getting is ‘product is not seen’. Has I said it worked until to update.

When you factory reset the Sub-Mini earlier (as mentioned in your initial post) are you sure you added it to the same Sonos Household and not a different HH by mistake? - did you use the ‘add product’ option in ‘settings/system’ with all your other devices showing in the App?

I’m just wondering if that reset was ‘perhaps’ not quite done correctly.

Ken

I used ‘add product’.

It’s something to do with last night update. All of the ofter parts of the system is working okay. Just hope Sonos is working on a fix, or the sub is broken, it’s not two years old yet.

I have two Sub-Mini’s here and both have updated successfully - so I can’t see it being a Sonos issue unless the update just happened to go awry in your case - if it was a common problem, I suspect this community would have lit up with hundreds of other posts by now. 

I’ve just checked with a friend of mine and his Sub-Mini has updated fine too.

I think the factory reset may not have helped on this occasion. You might have been better off rebooting the router and trying the update again (wireless or wired), but still…

Heres some other things to perhaps consider…

I seem to recall, IIRC, that some of the earlier Sub-Mini’s had an issue with setup on some WiFi signals that were not 802.11b/g/n backward compatible with security mode WPA2 AES - so if your router is not setup with those settings, then just check/change the 2.4Ghz signal to be compatible for setup purposes, or wire the Sub temporarily to the router (only) during the factory reset and device setup process from within the App (add product) - start with a fully closed App to begin with and reboot the router too. 

Once the Sub is successfully setup and ‘bonded’ to a device then you can go onto uncable it. 

Also note, If you have any other wireless access points/extenders, besides the main router, then I would switch those off temporarily and make sure your routers DHCP server is not having any issues allocating an IP address to the Sub.

Hope those few things assist you to get the Sub-Mini back up and running.

Ken 

Have a diagnostics number 916408695. Just waiting for a call back. 

Ken 

Have a diagnostics number 916408695. Just waiting for a call back. 

Did you have the Sub-Mini showing in the App when you submitted the diagnostic, just so the Staff can check to see if the hardware looks okay? Anyhow, let us know how you get on.

Note, when you’ve submitted a diagnostic, that doesn’t generate a ‘call back’. As noted in the  Diagnostics - How do they work? thread, you need to call Sonos, otherwise the diagnostic will not be looked at. 

Sent a report to Sonos. Will phone if a cannot get any joy  with the shop I bought the sub from. They are trying to help.

I post an update later. 

Thanks

No luck with the shop, there were going around in circles. 

I phone Sonos, I need a break.

Thanks for your help.

Nick

Update.

Spent one and a half hours with Sonos support and at the end they just push it back in my court, nothing to do with us. What a joke. A 14 month old sub mini (£450) in the heading for the wast bin. 
Sonos needs to take responsibility, working ok before last nights update, today a peace of junk.

Update.

Spent one and a half hours with Sonos support and at the end they just push it back in my court, nothing to do with us. What a joke. A 14 month old sub mini (£450) in the heading for the wast bin. 
Sonos needs to take responsibility, working ok before last nights update, today a peace of junk.

Not wishing to rub salt into your wounds, but I would not have factory reset the Sub-Mini at such an early stage in your troubleshooting (certainly not until told to do so by the Sonos Staff) as that just wiped out any evidence you may have had available to get to the root cause, but I guess that horse has now bolted. So what things did you try with the Support Staff? - and have you yet tried any of the suggestions that I mentioned earlier? There’s still lots of things I can think of, that you may want to try, but it depends on what you’ve already done so far.

Well, after spending all day trying to find an answer to my problem and I do appreciate those on here who offered up an advice, thank you. As I said above I spent  one and hours with Sonos support which got nowhere. The answer was just ridiculous. My last throw of the dice, was to move the sub into an another room where for some reason that’s beyond me the setup of the sub went smoothly. Then took the sub back to my main room and hey presto all is well. I be very interested to know why that is the case.

Many thanks again

Nick

As a guess, some sort of wifi interference in that particular location, perhaps variable, but enough to interfere with the setup/connection process.

I’m still wondering what things were done in the 1-½ hours with Sonos Support who had access to the diagnostic data. I’m surprised the suggested earlier reboot of the router and cabling of the Sub to the router didn’t lead to the solution much earlier before the call to Support.

i guess though, “All’s well that ends well”.

I think logically when you look at start of the problem, when for some reason the update did not complete, it was frozen,  interference is probably the answer.  Yet all the other times when the sub was updated no problem.

Anyhow, thanks once again for your help