Streaming music skipping, playlist song encoding errors and skips them

• 17 October 2023
  • 11 replies

Badge

I have 6 Sonos speakers (includes a sound bar and a larger 5, with 4 Sonos 1’s). Everything works flawlessly typically, but lately, music skips or stops when I’m streaming (Apple or SiriusXM). When I play from saved playlists, I’m getting song not encoded properly for many songs and it skips right over them. I see similar complaints from 5 years ago. HOPEFUL that there is a better resolution or big fix. Plays perfectly through EchoDot. Thanks!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Wait for it to happen submit a diagnostic and talk to Sonos support about the issue.

If it wasn’t just from the saved playlists I’d look at the WiFi interference FAQ for suggestions.

Userlevel 3
Badge +7

Same here 

Just started in the last few weeks - i have listened to the stations and channels below for years. 

My wifi has not changed - no new items and no interference on other wifi (like my laptop)

Nothing has changed physically 

TUNEIN station (WAMC, WNYC AM,  WNYC FM and various foreign stations)

TUNEIN BBC Radio4 and BBC Radio3 (today)

and 

SiriusXM (MET Opera channel)- many many times last night during a stream last night

It’s unfortunate that you claim that your Wi-Fi hasn’t changed…all Wi-Fi is both impacted by outside influences that you often have no control over, and is designed to change on its own frequently, in an attempt to give you as good an experience as it can. It’s certainly possible your Wi-Fi is being impacted from outside, or frankly from inside your home. I’d encourage you to read the wifi interference FAQ, and apply as many of the options there you might find.

It is equally possible that Sonos has received duplicate IP information from your router, when it updates its software and requests a new one. You can easily test this by unplugging all Sonos from power, then rebooting your router. Give the router a couple of minutes to boot up, then plug back in your Sonos devices to power. If that ‘fixes’ the problem, I’d suggest checking the router’s manual for how to set up reserved IP addresses on it, which goes a long way in keeping that situation from recurring.

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

You can’t listen any bbc radio stations via Tunein, the bbc removed them

You need to use bbc sounds from within sonos app

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

It’s unfortunate that you claim that your Wi-Fi hasn’t changed…all Wi-Fi is both impacted by outside influences that you often have no control over, and is designed to change on its own frequently, in an attempt to give you as good an experience as it can. It’s certainly possible your Wi-Fi is being impacted from outside, or frankly from inside your home. I’d encourage you to read the wifi interference FAQ, and apply as many of the options there you might find.

It is equally possible that Sonos has received duplicate IP information from your router, when it updates its software and requests a new one. You can easily test this by unplugging all Sonos from power, then rebooting your router. Give the router a couple of minutes to boot up, then plug back in your Sonos devices to power. If that ‘fixes’ the problem, I’d suggest checking the router’s manual for how to set up reserved IP addresses on it, which goes a long way in keeping that situation from recurring.

Please remove this fanboy account. 

Complete pseudo rubbish answers that always point to everything except Sonos.

That’s completely unfair. It’s a complete nightmare trying to fault find sonos, there are so many variables, people just expect speakers to work like they did in the 70s and get really annoyed when music stops or skips unplugging and moving seems yo have worked for me 🤞

I am not going to turn this into a public thing. If you want, do a pm.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Did you not make it “a public thing” by (out of the blue, not even in a topic you started) lodging a complaint about a fellow user?

No, technically it became semi public when this was posted to this community. But I digress. 

So, my gripes with that account:

this topic has dozens, maybe 100’s of similars ( encoding which started after the app got updated to 15.2 ( just read )). ( Apple Music, YouTube music, Tidal etc ) 

I have yet to see in any of the comments a critical note on Sonos from this account ( sure one doesn’t need to be critical ). I find this a bit odd. So, I clicked on the account : 36k+ posts and owns all the Sonos products. I don’t know about you, but that seems oddly like a corporate ( Sonos ) account, if anything. 
Just be honest and be clear that this a Sonos run account. 
Side note: have they (Sonos) fixed the ARC pop of death yet?

Moderator note:

All Sonos employees are recognisable by the Sonos Staff label next to their name, and the word Sonos on their avatar picture.

To be clear: I don’t own all Sonos products, and that should be reflected in my profile. I do own a lot of Sonos, just not every single product.

Sonos employees are required to list themselves as employees in their profile. See, for instance, the profile of one of the moderators, @Corry P .

Sonos has never, ever paid me a dime. I’d love to know how to change this.

99%, but not all, problems, based on the posts I’ve both read, and responded to in this forum over the many years I’ve been a member,  do not originate from Sonos. Sonos is effectively a TV set for the ears, one wouldn’t normally blame LG for reception issues with the cable company. Neither LG nor Sonos hold the content at any time, they both merely play what is provided to them. 

I do find it odd that you assume that anyone who attempts to be helpful is an employee, rather than someone who is merely trying to assist. Just because I hold differing opinions than yours, or have been attempting to help users over a long period of time,  does not make me a ‘corporate account’. 

Hi,

I don’t assume that someone who tries to be helpful works for Sonos. On community fora I assume they are not. There are lots of examples of this.

Yes, Sonos is a tv set to the ears and the tv set got updated to version 15.2 when the problems started to arise. So, I wouldn’t blame my cable company either. The update to 15.2 was the only thing that changed ( for lots of people ). I blame Sonos. Lot’s of other do as well. If I change my provider and it stopped, I blame myself first as I changed my network not sonos for not automatically work with my new setup. Even, let’s say for argument sake, Apple changed something. And then Sonos updated their software so that problem would occur: then still Sonos came out last, so they should have:

1. tested their product better / better take care of their software release cycle. ( this is not a small company )
  2. communicated ‘sorry guys, apple changed something and now this is broken’. And communicated that clearly, not just somewhere in releasenotes.

Although I appreciate you trying to be helpful, I took offense with your posts as you have been posting these generic ‘your network could be interfered by some outside cause’ ( in this case )  Although, I don’t argue that it can’t be the case, but it is highly unlikely. People don’t change their setup so infrequently that it is it highly unlikely. So, you have two highly unlikelies combined.

So, to offer some encouragement: for someone who has been posting 5 posts a day ( assuming 20years , results in 4,97 ): please improve your answers. You have been reading the problems over and over, so suggest likely causes first. You have the experience by now. I have been in IT for a while now; I don’t ask: ‘did you turn if off and on again’ either. ( over and over )

Best regards

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Have you tried following the advice given?