Answered

Strange behaviour with Play 3 and Move streaming radio

• 9 November 2023
  • 3 replies

Hi

I have some strange behavior when streaming radio using BBC Sounds on Play 3. The Play 3 buffers continuously but when I put it in a group with a Move (even with Move volume =0) then the Play 3 streams perfectly.

I am using Sonos in wifi mode (so SonosNet Meshing is not used, so issues such STP are not relevant) and I have a Unifi wifi network with strong wifi signal in the area where the speakers are located. I have followed Sonos guidelines for using a Unifi system and I can connect the Play 3 to a 5g channel or 2g channel (but in each case I have same buffering problem). The channels are not congested and my internet connection is fairly fast ie 30Mbps download. 

Any ideas?

When creating a group does the group create a mesh network?

icon

Best answer by ratty 9 November 2023, 14:04

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Which way round works?

• Move + Play:3, or
  • Play:3 + Move

Move then add Play 3 then the Play 3 works perfectly.

Play 3 and then add Move then Play 3 still buffers (but Move perfect). 

Play 3 and then add Move then Play 3 still buffers (but Move perfect). 

The Play:3 would be fetching the stream then sending it to the Move, so we can’t rule out an internal hardware issue with the former. The Play:3’s design dates from over 12 years ago.

I suggest you submit a system diagnostic within 10 minutes of a problem, note the confirmation number and then contact Sonos Support.