Skip to main content

Hey Sonos EVERY TIME I upgrade my speakers software the system stops working and I have to spend an hour getting it to work. I disabled automatic upgrades in the app but that results in you disabling certain features (truetune) until I upgrade and again waste an hour getting your system to work. Is this even legal ??? I am not the only one unhappy with this ham-fisted approach to software upgrades judging by several community posts. I tried different advices like static IP addresses but the issue persists. I paid good money for your speakers and I expected better from you. Let me control my speakers. 

The only reason trueplay gets disabled is the app being out of sync with the firmware.  You have to turn off auto updating of the Sonos app also.

Besides that, your symptoms point to IP conflicts due to a wonky router assignment table.  These often happen after updates because the reboots request new IP assignments and the router hands out IPs already in use.  Reboot your router, then reboot Sonos.  Then reserve IP adresses for all your Sonos devices in your router setup.

Thanks but I had static IP assignment on my router for all my Sonos speakers ever since I got them. Disabling auto update disables it for all of my apps under iOS and I don’t want to do it just to stop Sonos app from updating. I hardly even use the Sonos app. Just keep the trueplay enabled. A billion dollar company like Sonos should do a better job. 

Thanks but I had static IP assignment on my router for all my Sonos speakers ever since I got them. Disabling auto update disables it for all of my apps under iOS and I don’t want to do it just to stop Sonos app from updating. I hardly even use the Sonos app. Just keep the trueplay enabled. A billion dollar company like Sonos should do a better job. 

If you switch off iOS Automatic App updates you can still manually install all other App updates. Other options are to Uninstall the Sonos App completely, or just set to ‘remove’ it as an offloaded unused App until you need it next time. There are plenty of options in iOS.

Just keep the trueplay enabled. 

It does stay enabled. It works in the speakers themselves, not the controller app.

But if the app and firmware versions get out of step you may not be able to change the Trueplay configuration.

I've Truplayed a room in my system exactly once in the last year, and that was only because of the infamous Arc bug.  Otherwise, I see no need to constantly run Trueplay, and certainly no pressing need that would be held "hostage" (pretty poor piece of hyperbole considering world events) to an incomplete update.