Answered

Spectrum Router SAX2V1S is it compatible???

• 8 August 2023
  • 14 replies

Badge

Just got this new router from the ISP and my speakers always disconnect or cannot be found. Have to always find and re-start the router to find all speakers. Sonos say’s to name the bands to separate them but ISP says it is not possible with this router. The page that lists routers that are not compatible does not list this router. Has anyone find a solution for this issue with this specific router? Is my only option is to get another router that lets you separate the bands (2.4ghz/ghz)???

Set up:

1 Beam

4 Sonos Play1

1 Move

icon

Best answer by Corry P 8 August 2023, 17:40

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

14 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Stylar 

Thanks for your post!

These days you are usually better-off having the 2.4Ghz and 5GHz bands combined, as I have done on my own router (so it can’t be that bad!). The software in charge of getting your speakers connected to WiFi has changed quite a bit in the last couple of years.

In regards to compatibility, your new router is not listed on our Incompatible network hardware help page, but if it is a new model, that would hardly be surprising.

Taking a look at the notes on your recent case and my current view of your system, it seems that the issue is not that the speakers can’t get connected, but that when they are connected, they are unable to communicate effectively with the Sonos app. This issue is usually caused by WiFi boosters or extenders - if you have any of these, please turn them off and test. Should you need the extra coverage they provide, we recommend the use of a Mesh WiFi system instead, as they are far more robust.

Alternatively, there may be adjustments needed to be made in the router’s settings - ones not pertaining to the actual WiFi broadcast, but rather to the functionality of the network. If UPnP is off, please turn it on. If it is on, please try turning it off. If you have any options to allow/block Multicast, please allow it. Any Wireless Isolation options should be disabled. If you see any option relating to IGMP Snooping/Filtering, please enable them.

There may be other options, but without prior knowledge of your router, it’s difficult to say what the issue may be. If you can provide screenshots of your router’s Network options, I may be able to help further.

I hope this helps.

Badge

Hi @Stylar 

Thanks for your post!

These days you are usually better-off having the 2.4Ghz and 5GHz bands combined, as I have done on my own router (so it can’t be that bad!). The software in charge of getting your speakers connected to WiFi has changed quite a bit in the last couple of years.

In regards to compatibility, your new router is not listed on our Incompatible network hardware help page, but if it is a new model, that would hardly be surprising.

Taking a look at the notes on your recent case and my current view of your system, it seems that the issue is not that the speakers can’t get connected, but that when they are connected, they are unable to communicate effectively with the Sonos app. This issue is usually caused by WiFi boosters or extenders - if you have any of these, please turn them off and test. Should you need the extra coverage they provide, we recommend the use of a Mesh WiFi system instead, as they are far more robust.

Alternatively, there may be adjustments needed to be made in the router’s settings - ones not pertaining to the actual WiFi broadcast, but rather to the functionality of the network. If UPnP is off, please turn it on. If it is on, please try turning it off. If you have any options to allow/block Multicast, please allow it. Any Wireless Isolation options should be disabled. If you see any option relating to IGMP Snooping/Filtering, please enable them.

There may be other options, but without prior knowledge of your router, it’s difficult to say what the issue may be. If you can provide screenshots of your router’s Network options, I may be able to help further.

I hope this helps.

Thank you for your reply. It is bad, unfortunately. I do not have boosters or extenders installed and confirmed that this router does not have a built in extender. My experience is that I have to either turn off/on my phone’s wifi or the router in order for the app to “see” the speakers. This will work for a couple of days and then all of the sudden some speakers will have to be disconnected and reconnected again so that the whole system can be seen. I do not understand why they will all be connected one day and the next not. I can attached the screens that router app is available to me but this form does not let me attach multiple ones. As well I did turn ON UPnP after reading some others having the same issue. That seemed to work for awhile but again the missing speakers happens again. It is not a big house as well so I do not have need for any extenders. I would like to hear from other clients that have this router how they fixed this. 

Good luck! This router seems to attract a lot of flames. The very last entry in this discussion suggests that it might be possible to reserve IP addresses. Some of your symptoms suggest that you might have duplicate addresses issues.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Stylar 

I recommend you get in touch with our technical support team who have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and what it reports.

Hi @Stylar 

Thanks for your post!

I hope this helps.

While this may be the case with some new devices, Sonos still recommends splitting bands into separate networks. I am having the same issue with the exact same spectrum router and I think the only fix is to get a new router. I have turned off my mesh network and reset my router a dosen times and have gotten lucky and connected twice but it is unstable and I soon lost the connection to two separate amps. From what I have read this is a terrible spectrum router and I’m going to try to get a different trouser abs see if this helps. 

Badge

@Amp setup 

Thanks for the confirmation. Please let me know what router you decide on and your findings. I want to confirm before replacing this damn router or Sonos updates to play nice with this router. 

So I actually figured out a way to get around this with still using the spectrum router. If you call Spectrum tech  support they can find your phone if it’s connected to your network and channel the 2.4 network and block the 5 ghz band so that as long as you connect the amp to the same network that your phone is - you should be able to connect it to the 2.4. They told me they can keep the window open for 1 hour so you have some time to mess with it. It’s not perfect but at the very least they can tell you what band you are connected to when you are trying to connect. And it worked for me after a few attempts but I think I’m still going to get a new router for other purposes. 

Badge

So I actually figured out a way to get around this with still using the spectrum router. If you call Spectrum tech  support they can find your phone if it’s connected to your network and channel the 2.4 network and block the 5 ghz band so that as long as you connect the amp to the same network that your phone is - you should be able to connect it to the 2.4. They told me they can keep the window open for 1 hour so you have some time to mess with it. It’s not perfect but at the very least they can tell you what band you are connected to when you are trying to connect. And it worked for me after a few attempts but I think I’m still going to get a new router for other purposes. 

Thanks, does it matter if your phone is NOT on the Spectrum network? 

Your phone has to be on the spectrum network because that’s how they channel the 2.4 band and the amp with follow suit. 

I have contacted sonos support several times and they are nice, but useless. They get everything connected and then in some period between 10 minutes and 4 hours one thing after another drops out of the loop. Right now my music is playing nicely but none of my apps can see it. Has sonos support actually come up with an answer for anyone??

I have contacted sonos support several times and they are nice, but useless. They get everything connected and then in some period between 10 minutes and 4 hours one thing after another drops out of the loop. Right now my music is playing nicely but none of my apps can see it. Has sonos support actually come up with an answer for anyone??

Rebooting the router is a temporary fix, but it also causes the router to flush its allocation table, causing it to lose track of in-use IP addresses.  So it works fine, until an IP lease is up and it issues one already in use, causing a conflict. You need to do a full network refresh.  Do the following:

Reboot/power cycle your devices in the following order:

Modem
Router
Switches or hubs
Wired Sonos units
Wireless Sonos units
Computers/printers
Wireless devices - phones/tablets etc.

Allow each device to come back up before proceeding to the next.  Note that you can permanently prevent duplicate IP addresses by assigning an IP to each device's MAC address in the router setup.  See your router manual for details.

Badge

Rebooting the router is a temporary fix, but it also causes the router to flush its allocation table, causing it to lose track of in-use IP addresses.  So it works fine, until an IP lease is up and it issues one already in use, causing a conflict. You need to do a full network refresh.  Do the following:

Reboot/power cycle your devices in the following order:

Modem
Router
Switches or hubs
Wired Sonos units
Wireless Sonos units
Computers/printers
Wireless devices - phones/tablets etc.

Allow each device to come back up before proceeding to the next.  Note that you can permanently prevent duplicate IP addresses by assigning an IP to each device's MAC address in the router setup.  See your router manual for details.

I was told by SONOS not to assign NOT to assign an IP to each device… This is a very annoying. The only permanent fix is to get another router that you can configure to use 2.4Ghz only. It is not possible to combine them with this router as https://en.community.sonos.com/members/corry-p-8113798 states. It is that bad. Sonos should make this aware before customers use this router. I wish a software update would fix this issue. 

I was told by SONOS not to assign NOT to assign an IP to each device… This is a very annoying. The only permanent fix is to get another router that you can configure to use 2.4Ghz only. It is not possible to combine them with this router as https://en.community.sonos.com/members/corry-p-8113798 states. It is that bad. Sonos should make this aware before customers use this router. I wish a software update would fix this issue. 

Ignore what Sonos says.  They are low paid non-experts reading off a script which was written to keep things simple.  Sometimes things aren’t simple.  

I tried the jgatie suggestions, including assigning IP addresses. Works for a couple of hours, like every other reset, then things just disappear. so this seems to be another dead end.

Can I conclude no one has figured out how to make this router work with this spectrum app?

getting a no-5ghz band router as some have suggested seems to me to be a terrible solution for all my other internet uses. Does anyone know if Spectrum offers a router that does work with Sonos?