Skip to main content
Question

speakers not updating since new app

• 19 July 2024
  • 4 replies

The new app will not allow me to set-up and update my Playbar or a Sonos 3. Any thoughts or updates coming to fix this? These speakers are now bricks. They were working perfect before the new app!

4 replies

Have you tried to connect these devices temporarily to your router with an Ethernet cable? Or rebooted your router, along with these devices? Often one or both of those will resolve this. 

If push comes to shove, you might try unplugging all but one device you’re updating, and try that. I saw this as a potential work around on another thread, I’m not sure I understand why it would work, but worth the try. 

If none of that works, I’d recommend that you call Sonos Support directly to discuss it.

When you speak directly to the phone folks, they have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your network and Sonos system.

Yeah, I’ve used Ethernet, factory reset each speaker, reset router, used the pc controller, and called support. Both agents said the same thing, please be patient and our engineers are working on future updates. I finally got my Sonos five to work by starting the process with the S1 app but after that it wanted me to use the new app for the playbar but each time it gets to the update it gives me error 30, 1001, 1002, 1064, and others. Sooo frustrating! I do thank you for your suggestion.

In the future, I’d certainly discourage the use of the factory reset, at least without being instructed to by Sonos. It rarely, if ever, fixes a problem, and often temporarily obfuscates the real issue for a time. 

And a random thought. Given all those error codes, you’re not running any port blocking software, such as a VPN, virus protection, or a work profile on your device? I wouldn’t have normally thought so, but if you’re able to set up a device in S1, and not in S2, it makes me wonder if there is something blocking your ability to reach the update servers to get the file. 

In any case, I hope you’re able to resolve this issue, I’m sorry I was unable to assist you further. 

We did upgrade to fibre optic internet but I'm not using a VPN on the modem. The playbar is connected via ethernet to a booster so I'm going to try and hardwire it to the main hub tomorrow and see if I get a different result.