Answered

Speakers cutting out with new app

Userlevel 2

I have the latest version of the app, the new version. Now, when I play music, it cuts out, primarily with Amazon HD music. It’s frustrating because one of the benefits of having Sonos is being able to play music throughout the house, but speakers are not responding when I try to play Amazon HD music, which I subscribe to. Help!

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 8 May 2024, 19:34

View original

21 replies

One of the potential reasons for cutting import with one specific source, especially an HD source, which puts extra bandwidth requirements on your network, is wifi interference . I’d scan that FAQ and check your network. 

If it continues to fail, I would recommend that you submit a system diagnostic within 10 minutes of experiencing this problem, and call Sonos Support to discuss it.

There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution.

When you speak directly to the phone folks, they have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your network and Sonos system.

Userlevel 2

Have the same issue.  Really frustrating 

Userlevel 2

I know! And Sonos, please, I don’t want to hear that it’s another Wi-Fi issue. Or an Internet issue. I have 5Gbps coming into the house and I have modified my Internet settings to give priority to Sonos. And yet they still cut out. It’s hit or miss which ones are going to play when I’m trying to play them everywhere. I’ve done multiple Wi-Fi testing and I have no dead zones in the house thanks to my mesh network.  Additionally, trying to switch in between speakers in the app also doesn’t work. It ends up defaulting back to the speaker. It was on originally, and I have to Go through changing speakers 2 to 3 times before it actually walks in the speaker(s) I want to hear! The rest of my family doesn’t even want to bother with it anymore. And it’s a shame because I’ve invested so much money into the system. It began with the release of the new app version. Sonos - Please just fix it!! 

Userlevel 1

The new updated APP has rendered 6 of my speakers useless.  This is garbage.  I have reset my router, re-installed my router, reset my speakers, updated the app, logged in/out and prayed to SONOS-epherous, the god of bullshit speaker systems...all to no avail.  

This system worked so well for 7 years and then an app update in mid May has made my speakers simply ugly paperweights.  

I hope several people get fired for this disaster.   

I am selling my $720ish (was $1300ish) worth of company stock on Monday and putting these paperweights for sale on FB.   

I hope several people get fired.   

#NeverSonos

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Have the same issue.  Really frustrating 

Same. Tried all of the following multiple times. Restarting router, ‘Reset Sonos App’, unplugging all 10 Sonos speakers, tested for wifi dead spots, Removed all Groups or zones, etc. Never had an issue before the most recent App release.

Running on Build: 80.01.30-release+20240525.f9b1e2f0d  Version 16.2 (build 79.0-52294) fwiw...

Userlevel 2

Please fix your app.  Which I think is the issue.  I can play music thru Apple Music without the app, but can only do 1 group at a time, but I go thru the app and try to do my whole system 6 ones, beam and 2 era and a sub. And it is frustrating, one group will play then the others will cut in and out, not play at all.  Did all the suggested fixes, no go.   So please fix your app. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

I tried this approach today. Closed the app on iPhone and iPad (both running the most recent SONOS app versions) and decided to try to play via the new play.sonos.com on my MacBook Pro. Was definitely idiosyncratic at first to play through all speakers. Had to toggle on/off, on/off a couple times on three of the speakers that were ‘cutting out’ when using the App but I was eventually able to get them all to play via the web version for a few hours without one or more speakers cutting in and out vs. when streaming via the App. Volume control responsiveness was still pretty terrible\slow via the web version. Regardless, the App still seems to be the main issue surrounding a lot of issues we have all exhaustively noted.

Userlevel 1

It’s TERRIBLE.  I am so frustrated with how hard it is now to select speakers, change volume, and the constant cutting in and out on the music is a mess.  Not an issue of Wifi, network, these issues didn’t exist until the moment I updated to the new app.  Sonos, your customers are all asking for a fix!!!!

Userlevel 2

Agree.  I have 6 ones, 2 eras, sub and beam.  A good amount of $$ to not be able to enjoy

Sick to death of the new app. Has been useless since its launch. On the phone with Sonos yesterday, after 1hour hold, fix the problem for a day then today back to crap. Stop start and non responsive via app. Even when I shut the app it still played intermittently. Bloody useless. FIX THE APP!!!!!

Userlevel 2
Badge

I have the same problem.  I have spent all morning listening to the new Sonos app playing musical keep-away by arbitrarily switching speakers on and off throughout my system.  This is NOT a problem with my internet or WiFi because I can play the same music without a problem by bypassing the Sonos app.  These problems have been constant for over a month now.  Does anyone have any idea if and when Sonos is going to fix the app?

Badge

I agree with all Sonos posters here, Been with Sonos since 2017, old app worked fine, was able to navigate system settings to fix many issues that came up. Speakers un-paring, dropping out, etc, etc, just as other posters stated.

I can’t do now, with the new app format.

If it isn’t broken, please don’t try & fix it.

bring back old App !!

Userlevel 1
Badge

Absolute disaster from Sonos, w/little accountability.. whoever made the call to roll out a beta MVP app to production users for I guess live testing should be banned from Sonos and anything else that involves Software deployment to production users.. I was a Sonos evangelist for years, multiple thousands of dollars I spent and tens of thousands in referrals.. now I literally still can’t figure out volume and room switching features, in addition they pulled back the s2 app so we all have to live with a GUI that looks great but literally makes me want to blow my brains out every day.  How about the possessed volume ??? I swear my system is hacked when I watch the sliders move at will with volumes I didn’t choose.  Forget about adding speakers, what a nightmare. I literally have transferred ownership to myself 4x trying to get subs added. Cutting in and Out, defaults to specific room, volume slider just disappears etc etc.   I’m trying to give them time to fix, but now it’s getting frustrating and when Sonos says check your WiFi, it def doesn’t make me feel like they get it. Check your WiFi Sonos!!! Why a publicly traded company would do something so catastrophic to its customers is beyond me.. I agree with someone up top on this thread, peoples heads should roll for this. They will def lose customers and most likely see earnings decrease for the next couple quarters.  
NO Accountability and no communication or apologies from the C Level , just arrogant and I hope Someone comes into the space to compete as I might just move away from Sonos (which I never would have thought given my loyalty to them ) 

Userlevel 2
Badge

Does anyone know if they have liability under federal law for “(5)(A) knowingly causes the transmission of a program, information, code, or command, and as a result of such conduct, intentionally causes damage without authorization, to a protected computer?”

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

2 calls with sonos support yesterday did not resolve any issues. Sent over my diagnostics twice. Renamed a network, rebooted all Sonos devices and router/modem, checked channels, checked IP’s and I still have the same random speaker cutting out issue or the system having a mind of its own. So after a few hours on hold and conversation, Sonos is pointing the issue at my network. Despite them being able to see all of my devices connected on their end. However after kindly explaining that I have not had any of the random audio cutting out issues until the launch of the new and unimproved May app, wondering how they can tell me my network is messed up or creating the issue?

I knew I likely wasn’t going to get this resolved on the calls but I wanted to hear them tell me for verification the new app is garbage. At one point I was told that they are hearing us and some of these ‘bug fixes’ are being rolled out with these incremental app updates that are more pointed at the ‘missing features’ that were excluded. Frustrated.       

2 calls with sonos support yesterday did not resolve any issues. Sent over my diagnostics twice. Renamed a network, rebooted all Sonos devices and router/modem, checked channels, checked IP’s and I still have the same random speaker cutting out issue or the system having a mind of its own. So after a few hours on hold and conversation, Sonos is pointing the issue at my network. Despite them being able to see all of my devices connected on their end. However after kindly explaining that I have not had any of the random audio cutting out issues until the launch of the new and unimproved May app, wondering how they can tell me my network is messed up or creating the issue?

I knew I likely wasn’t going to get this resolved on the calls but I wanted to hear them tell me for verification the new app is garbage. At one point I was told that they are hearing us and some of these ‘bug fixes’ are being rolled out with these incremental app updates that are more pointed at the ‘missing features’ that were excluded. Frustrated.       

They are taking the piss tbh. It’s ridiculous. Can’t they let us uninstall and go back? I was in the market for the Sonos amp. But I’ve got to reevaluate my options as I don’t trust this system anymore 

Userlevel 2

And it is weird that most everyone’s network is messed up, one or two yes, but not all.  

Yep! Same, came here just to find solitude in this app update ruining my Sonos experience. So frustrating. My WiFi hasn’t changed but the app updated and now speakers drop throughout the evening. 

The Sonos Leadership team needs to be dismissed.  The CTO should be making a full apology to Sonos customers for the disaster that is this software.  Who QA’d this?

Late to this… After months of massive issues with cutting in and out, changing a Spotify setting has my speakers working again. It still takes a long minute for them to all settle in and play initially.  The only thing that seems to reduce the settle in duration is playing to fewer speakers.  Hopefully the info below will help other Sonos + Spotify users.

BACKGROUND
I use Spotify to stream music to a mix of 10 One/One SLs, 2 Era 100s, and an Arc.  They’ve been cutting in and out horribly, including no sound out of random speakers even though the Sonos app shows them playing.

SOLUTION
1. open the Spotify App 
2. open the Menu (tap the colored circle with your initial)
3. tap “Settings and privacy”, then tap “Devices”
4. turn on “Show local devices only” 
5. use either the Sonos or the Spotify app to select speakers and what they play

As soon as the app was updated to the latest version, my speakers cut out all the time. I too was given the interference speech. Incredibly frustrating that Sonos won’t find a resolution. Sonos are you listening to your customers?