Skip to main content
Question

speaker sounds like no bass playing

We have our ensuite and bedroom speakers set up on the same amp, the smaller speaker in the bedroom sounds great, the one in the bedroom sounds like the base has been lost, sounds awful and quiet…help.

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Sounds like you might have stereo/mono issues on the amp as I understand it (which I may well not!), which was fixed by a recent app update and system update.

Update the phone app if you haven’t lately. Then go to

Settings / Manage / System Updates / Check for Update 

which I’m hoping will show your system is not updated. Once updated, try playing music through the speakers again.

Thank you for your response.  System was updated.  No change 😔

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

You could try running Trueplay on the ‘dodgy’ speaker with an iPhone to see if it makes an difference.

Failing that, try resetting the speaker and setting it up again? Not sure what else to suggest…

Is mono selected in the settings? See here

https://support.sonos.com/en-ca/article/dual-mono-mode

These speakers are in the ceiling and are both connected to the same amp, the one speaker (the smaller one) works better than the larger one.   There is no option for dual mono under stereo, which is what is selected.  🙏

Consider the possibility that the speakers are wired out of phase.

How can I find out if that is the case? 🙏

How can I find out if that is the case? 🙏

Look at the wires on the back of the speaker and the back of the amp.  Make sure the wire from the red/black connections on the Amp are going to the same connector on each speaker (+ or -).  If you have something like the black going to the negative (-) on one speaker and to the positive (+) on the other, they will be out of phase. 

I will try that, although this seems to be a new issue, we have had the system for 2 years, never noticed it before, not that we play the music in the bedroom that often.  Thank you 

Red to red and black to black is the best way to wire. As a quick test simply exchange black and red for one speaker at the back of the AMP. The correct arrangement will obviously sound better.