speaker service versus music services

• 16 October 2023
  • 6 replies

Just be the best speaker company, your core competencies. Forget the streaming services, customers will decide what they want to listen to. 
what I choose to put through my Sonos speakers is important to me.
I am having second thoughts before investing further with Sonos speakers because of the restrictions. I also believe other Sonos customers have these second thoughts.

Your not good in the streaming business, stick to the speaker business, you will gain more repeat and more business with your speaker business.

Your business pioneered great wireless speakers.

Stay focused with what your customers want.

thank you

Alex

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

What an odd statement.

From the beginning, Sonos has been as much about streaming as they have about playing your local files. To my personal experience, there has been no diminution of playing my local files, which have been moved to an NAS, instead of on my Mac, although both places remain perfectly acceptable. And Sonos has only increased the streaming options. 

The remote Sonos speakers don’t allow YouTube sound, most likely due to licensing restrictions. Listening to local NAS or local computers is not the issue. I noticed this issue where I wanted to listen to YouTube music or documentaries. 

As far as I’m aware, YouTube Music is fully supported by Sonos, both as a built in stream, and as an AirPlay 2 stream, if you have an Apple device. However, as I recall, there was a minor restriction on media type accounts? You had to be a normal paying customer for the system to work.

It sounds to me like you’re having a specific issue. Rather than a generic post against Sonos, why not seek assistance from this community? Provide some specifics. There are a lot of people here who use YouTube Music on a daily basis. 

Again I like the product, but why should I have to buy an another subscription for YouTube, when I can get it free . Other systems allow any media to come through, wired and wireless except Sonos. That is why I would consider minimizing my expansion of Sonos in the future. I assumed it’s a speaker system first, not a streaming service first. 
thanks

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Not sure why you seem to think you cannot play Youtube Music Free from Sonos. Your could ad Youtube Music to the system via the Sonos app and play it that way. The only thing Sonos can’t do is Chromecast if that’s what you’re after.

Again I like the product, but why should I have to buy an another subscription for YouTube, when I can get it free . Other systems allow any media to come through, wired and wireless except Sonos. That is why I would consider minimizing my expansion of Sonos in the future. I assumed it’s a speaker system first, not a streaming service first. 
thanks

That’s YouTube’s restriction, not Sonos’.  Free YouTube relies upon advertising, which is not possible over Sonos.  Hence why only the paid version of YouTube is available.