Skip to main content
Question

sonos voice control Home Assistant integration

• 5 June 2024
  • 7 replies

Please create an integration for Sonos to Home Assistant. I don't understand why you would be this horrible and lock your system down so much? Please at least allow the community to create a home assistant integration for config management and custom voice commands. This is really unbelievable that this is not a thing still.

I don't like being this negative about it, but you're making my speakers worse and worse since I bought them and I'm seriously considering just selling all the Sonos products I already have and moving away permanently from anything Sonos. Stop pushing so hard for gimmicks no one really wants and get your core products to actually work.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

I’m curious to know what sort of integrations you’re looking for. 

Are you wanting to use Sonos Voice Control to control your home assistant smart devices?

Are you wanting to be able to control Sonos via home assistant? (I believe this already available as Sonos has an open API)

You mentioned config management. Do you want to use Sonos voice to config HA? Or do you want to be able to config Sonos via HA?

Same here, I would like to use HA Assist (https://www.home-assistant.io/voice_control/) with my sonos products. Quite a raw implementation as most of the voice recognizion is in HA (all but wakeword). 

Userlevel 2

As previously stated here

Even if Sonos could act as voice satellites for Home Assistants voice pipeline it would be fantastic. 

Ready to ditch Alexa!

My 2 cents is that Sonos should stick to their wheel house and make great speakers and allow integration through an API service that includes using their devices as the ears and voice for other platforms like Home Assistant. They’d be the perfect satelites It just makes sense. Alexa and Google voice assistants have degraded over time and have become unusable.  

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

I also am one of those users that is quite peeved at the moment about this whole Voice Command drama.

I went and bought the Era 100, only to find out that Sonos got into some divorce fight with Google.

I cant use voice command now to control my home devices through the Era 100 cuz GoogleAssistant wont work and the SonosVoice is too limited. (And I'm not bothering with Alexa)

Sonos, you are deciding to not go further with Google. You wont give us a good alternative, but you won't let us use our own HomeAssistants either. What do you want us to do?

At least give back the option for us to relay the microphones to our HomeAssistant.

Let the conmunity figure out the rest. They WILL buy ur stuff MORE if you engage with HomeAssistant. Not less.

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

While I can understand home-assistant users would see this as useful, what do you think is the actual overlap between home-assistant users and sonos users who would use it and home-assistant users who would buy sonos products as a result is?

From home assistants own analytics (which can be opted out of) there are 351,530 active home-assistant installations.

https://analytics.home-assistant.io/

That is ~87500 less than the total 439,226 users who have ever registered on this forum and around 15 million less (give or take) than the 15.3 Million Sonos households (not individual devices) at the end of 2023.

What would be the realistic benefit to Sonos and Deezer to add home-assistant compatibility/integration endpoints to the Sonos Voice Control?

Yes, like Sonos radio, Deezer were involved as partners for Sonos Voice Control

https://newsroom-deezer.com/2022/06/deezer-strengthens-sonos-partnership-with-launch-of-sonos-voice-control-and-new-app-interface/

Sonos Voice Control is the latest launch from Sonos, developed in collaboration with Deezer to ensure seamless compatibility. It works on every voice-capable Sonos speaker, processing requests entirely on the device.

“Deezer provided excellent support as we developed Sonos Voice Control and we look forward to continuing our collaboration in the future,” said Joseph Dureau, Vice President, Voice Experience, Sonos.

Personally I think forum requests from individual home-assistant users are unlikely to have an impact or generate any interest inside Sonos. Instead as home-assistant users, band together and ask either the OpenHome Foundation or Home-Assistant overseers to contact Sonos and seriously discuss how adding an ability for Home Assistant Voice to Sonos Voice Control integration could tangibly help and benefit Sonos.

Good question, it made me think of the actual business potential for Sonos.

I had fun doing a high level estimate, here's what it turned out

There are currently 43.000 Home Assistant installations with Sonos integration enabled, that is approx. 15% of HA installations. On the other hand there are 166.000 installations with Google text to speech enabled (58%) and that tells me that there are a lot of HA users that want to interact with HA via voice commands.

https://analytics.home-assistant.io/integrations/

Furthermore, Home Assistant community is growing with a 66% CAGR

https://analytics.home-assistant.io/

If we assume that:

• HA community will grow with 30% CAGR in the next 3 years
  • 30-40% of HA users will switch to Sonos only if they will have ASSIST on Sonos
  • Average HA user is high demanding / high spending, but let’s assume that they will buy only 3 Sonos devices of 200$ each 

then the business opportunity for SONOS is worth 100 - 150M$ of additional revenues (cumulated) in the next 3 years

That is not a game changer for a 1.6 B$ sales company, but I believe that’s enough to fund the development of the home assistant ASSIST compatibility